From: kaz@vision.crest.nt.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Subject: Re: Not intended for use in medical devices
Date: 1997/05/06
Date: 1997-05-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5kn99d$jje@top.mitre.org>,
Michael F Brenner <mfb@mbunix.mitre.org> wrote:
>Two of the Bob Lief suggestions should not be lost in the length of
>the message:
>   (1) computers are now finally fast enough to do source code rewriting
>       as part of the optimization, and SHOULD

Why would you care, as long as the optimization is correct?

Not all optimizations can be expressed at the source level. I'd like Bob to
humor me as to how one would express, in source code, the optimization of a
case statement that was turned into a jump table.

>   (2) hardware devices should almost always be connected to software
>       via memory boards, not registers or ports

So, do you agree or disagree with these suggestions? ;)