From: afn03257@freenet2.afn.org (Daniel P Hudson)
Subject: Re: STUDENTS GO AWAY!!!!!!!??????
Date: 1997/05/03
Date: 1997-05-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>Daniel said

><<You must be sick. I have not tried to persuade ANYONE to favor
>  ANYTHING. I have stated I am shocked at some of your over
>  generalizations of students.>>

>Perhaps you should look up "irony" in the dictionary :-)

Yes, how silly of me, I always use IRONY in the MIDDLE of
a serious discusion, especially one that is trying to
make students feel unwanted in usenet. I also forget to put a
smiley next to my ironic statements so everyone can mistake
irony for confusion. >8-> [Sarcasm]

><<You don't think "STUDENTS GO AWAY!!!" suggests anything of the sort,
>  correct? Considering a thread title is supposed to "reflect"
>  the content, I must disagree.>>

>You must have joined us late. This thread title was coined by a student,

Nope : Basically the first message was a FOLLOW-UP to
       an E-mail he got

Mr. Bunny says he got a disturbing E-mail which says students shouldn't
post to CLA, then says he does not believe the statements about all
Ada students in the world flooding the group, and simple logic supports
his claim. He then goes on to say that he thought usenet was an
academic system, which it was originally. He also mentions that if CLA
members DON'T want students participating they could surely MAKE a
student Ada newsgroup. Did I miss anything?

Your follow up.

Yes, every Ada student would crush us, yadda, yadda, yadda about
something that will never happen and is just an excause to harass the
few students we have that DO use this group. Followed by a statement
saying usenet has nothing to do with academics, and that Mr. bunny
should create an alt group instead of wasting his time posting here.
Good to go so far?

Followed by me, saying your usage of an imaginary situation of 1000's
of Ada students posting here is a poor reason to have told Mr. Bunny he
is not welcome here in the E-mail he got [not that you mailed him],
correcting your mis-conception about usenet and academics since it
was academic communities that created usenet some 2-3 decades ago,
and I don't think I commented on the ALT group remark even though
you misunderstood his original statement which was for you, the
people who know how to create newsgroups and don't want the students
visiting your precious group, to creata a comp.lang.ada.4.students
newsgroup.

Now there were other side threads going on, but they were not of
concern in our discussion.

I'm going to return to lurking now, and you are your screwy quoting
style can say what you want, but your post appears to argue against
STUDENTS posting to CLA, and particularly Mr. Bunny, period.