* Re: DOS GNAT or Win95/NT GNAT? (Ada 95)
@ 1997-04-26  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1997-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>In particular, will the Windows version allow me to draw pictures using
>line/circle/box primatives in actual screen-windows with scrollbars and
>menus?
  There is a thin binding to Windows included so you can call Windows'
line/circle/box etc primitives, write your Windows message loop, etc.
There are Windows primitives to create menus, but if you want to use
resource files you'll need a resource compiler.

>If so, how - is it easy?
  To make it easy, you need a thick binding.  Take a look at the
Shapes demo in the Claw demo to see rectangles, ellipses, etc.  I
think there's a demo there with scrollbars too.  (I'm told a new Claw
demo version is to be posted at www.rrsoftware.com within the next
few days.) Claw works under Gnat 3.04a and I'm told it ought to work
under 3.09 for those with ACT support contracts, though it doesn't
work under the publicly released 3.09.

* DOS GNAT or Win95/NT GNAT? (Ada 95)
@ 1997-04-27  0:00 Matthew Kennedy
From: Matthew Kennedy @ 1997-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

What advantages can the Win95/NT version of GNAT offer me compared to
DOS GNAT?

In particular, will the Windows version allow me to draw pictures using
line/circle/box primatives in actual screen-windows with scrollbars and
menus? If so, how - is it easy?

Also, does the DOS version allow multiple tasks?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Kennedy
Student of Electronics Engineering, USQ Australia