From: geert@gonzo.sun3.iaf.nl (Geert Bosch)
Subject: Re: gnat for BSDi?
Date: 1997/04/21
Date: 1997-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar (dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
   what is the relation of NetBSD FreeBSD and BSDi, certainly GNAT ports
   exist for the first two ...

Their relation is that they all are slightly different from OpenBSD.
Basically all these OS-es are based on the BSD 4.4 (lite) sources from
UCB. BSDi is a commercial product, the others are free. They have a
less restrictive license than GPL however. NetBSD is available on several
hardware platforms, FreeBSD is Intel only. OpenBSD is the newest
variant, created because some people had different opinions than the
NetBSD people.

Anyway, this description is too short to be precise, but I want to
avoid comparing religions. This is actually more appriopriate to
the comp.unix.misc or comp.unix.bsd.* groups. I have redirected
followups to comp.unix.misc.

Regards,
   Geert