* Unix TCP Socket with GNAT?
@ 1997-04-19  0:00 John M. Greer
From: John M. Greer @ 1997-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know of a good way to implement TCP connections with GNAT?
I'm running Linux with GNAT 3.09.  I know I can use C library functions,
but I'd rather stick with good ol' Ada-95.

John Greer
Spam will be rewarded with a complete copy of the Linux kernel source.

* Re: Unix TCP Socket with GNAT?
@ 1997-04-21  0:00 ` Robert L. Spooner
From: Robert L. Spooner @ 1997-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John M. Greer

John M. Greer wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good way to implement TCP connections with GNAT?
> I'm running Linux with GNAT 3.09.  I know I can use C library functions,
> but I'd rather stick with good ol' Ada-95.
>
> John Greer
> Spam will be rewarded with a complete copy of the Linux kernel source.
John,

From my experience using Rational's Ada compiler for both a UNIX host
and a vxWorks target environment to do this, I would say that the C
library functions are probably your best bet.  They have the following
advantages.

	1. They are available, documented, and easy to use with Ada's ability
to interface to other languages.  You save a lot of development cost.

	2. They have been thoroughly tested by many more users than a custom
Ada implementation would be, so are reliable and their behavior is
known.

If you need other protocols layered on top of TCP/IP you might want to
look at what Pacific Softworks has.  You can find them at:

	http://www.pacificsw.com/

regards,
Bob
--
                               Robert L. Spooner
                        Registered Professional Engineer

               Applied Research Laboratory        Phone: (814) 863-4120
               The Pennsylvania State University  FAX:   (814) 863-7843
               P. O. Box 30
               State College, PA 16804-0030       RLS19@psu.edu