* Re: Developing Windows95 GUI Apps with Ada95
@ 1997-04-16  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1997-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>compiler which runs on Win95, supports a library for developing for Windows,
>and is not too expensive, or is there just not enough demand for this?
Aonix, Gnat, and RR (and others?) have Ada 95 compilers that run on and
produce code for Win95.  They all offer thin bindings to win32.  Also,
CLAW (Class Library for Ada Windows) is a thick (ie, MFC-like, but Ada
style) binding that should run under any Ada 95 compiler (see
www.rrsoftware.com).

* Developing Windows95 GUI Apps with Ada95
@ 1997-04-16  0:00 Michael A Ziller
From: Michael A Ziller @ 1997-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Like the title says, is this really possible?  (Maybe a better word would
practical...It's relatively easy to develop Win95 apps in C++ a la MFC or in
Eiffel a la WEL)  I guess what I'm asking is whether there is an Ada95
compiler which runs on Win95, supports a library for developing for Windows,
and is not too expensive, or is there just not enough demand for this?

Thanks,
Michael

* Re: Developing Windows95 GUI Apps with Ada95
@ 1997-04-17  0:00 ` StefanK
From: StefanK @ 1997-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Apr 1997 01:25:03 GMT, mziller@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Michael A
Ziller) wrote:

>Like the title says, is this really possible?  (Maybe a better word would
>practical...It's relatively easy to develop Win95 apps in C++ a la MFC or in
>Eiffel a la WEL)  I guess what I'm asking is whether there is an Ada95
>compiler which runs on Win95, supports a library for developing for Windows,
>and is not too expensive, or is there just not enough demand for this?

I know there is ObjectAda 7.0 from Aonix which runs under Win95/NT.
The compiler-environment looks much like the well know Visual C++ IDE.

There are different versions, the professionell version has a
GUI-builder for Win32.

Stefan.

* Re: Developing Windows95 GUI Apps with Ada95
@ 1997-04-18  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: Steve Doiel et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

Try SAGE-st (was AdaSAGE) http://sageftp.inel.gov/sage/homepage
It has functionality similar to Delphi and includes both a single and
multiuser database.  Both of which are powerful and fast.  SAGE runs on
many Ada platforms and is available as an Ada 95 application.
Lockheed-Martin now manages the INEL, where SAGE is development.

Date:    Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:38 GMT
From:    Steve Doiel <steved@PACIFIER.COM>
Subject: Re: Developing Windows95 GUI Apps with Ada95

In article <5j19pf$qqu@netnews.upenn.edu>, mziller@blue.seas.upenn.edu says...

>Like the title says, is this really possible?  (Maybe a better word would
>practical...It's relatively easy to develop Win95 apps in C++ a la MFC or in
>Eiffel a la WEL)  I guess what I'm asking is whether there is an Ada95
>compiler which runs on Win95, supports a library for developing for Windows,
>and is not too expensive, or is there just not enough demand for this?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

In our organization we have been using C++ to develop small user interface
applications.  After some dissapointment over the productivity of this
development, we decided to try out Delphi.  The programmers describe the
programming as being "ten times easier".  With comments like "it's great
I can read the code".

IMHO there is no reason that an equavalent RAD tool could be based on Ada 95,
which I would prefer to Delphi.  But it is my understanding that no such
tool exists.  BTW I tried the GUI builder for ObjectAda... it doesn't even
come close (maybe the next version?)

Steve Doiel

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D., PMIAC,
Vice President & Research Director