* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` Jan Galkowski
From: Jan Galkowski @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SiliconJesus wrote:

> I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
> my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
> ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
> me some input on the advantages.
>
> Thanks

This is a joke, right?  Either that, or it has achieved new
standards for Usenet chutzpah.

I'm half thinking folks should take this guy up on his
request, just to be _sure_ he doesn't learn anythin'.

--
 Jan Theodore Galkowski,
 developer, tool & numerical methods elf

* Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 SiliconJesus
From: SiliconJesus @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
me some input on the advantages.

Thanks

          __  _-==-=_,-.
         /--`' \_@-@.--<
         `--'\ \   <___/.
              \ \\   " /
               >=\\_/`<
   ____       /= |  \_|/
 _'    `\   _/=== \___/
= -_ __/=======================================================================
|    John M. Softich                     |   "That's when I miss her,         |
|  softichj@esus.cs.montana.edu          |  That's when she's gone Yeah,      |
|  Montana State University              |   I miss her since she's gone!     |
|  Http://esus.cs.montana.edu/~softichj  |            ~Type O Negative        |

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SiliconJesus writes:

"I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
 my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
 ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
 me some input on the advantages."

It's easier to spell than Pascal or Fortran, but not as easy as C.

Dale

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.970407113750.26070F-100000@esus.cs.montana.edu>, SiliconJesus <softichj@cs.montana.edu> writes:
> I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
> my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
> ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
> me some input on the advantages.

Consider it done.  Just read the past several years of this newsgroup.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-08  0:00   ` Tom Wheeley
From: Tom Wheeley @ 1997-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ibs79$l8l$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
           dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU "Dale Stanbrough" writes:

> SiliconJesus writes:
>
> "I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
>  my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
>  ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
>  me some input on the advantages."
>
> It's easier to spell than Pascal or Fortran, but not as easy as C.

But like C, ADA is palindromic.

--
:sb)

* Re: Advantages of ADA
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-04-08  0:00 ` Andrew Dunstan
From: Andrew Dunstan @ 1997-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SiliconJesus (softichj@cs.montana.edu) wrote:
: I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
: my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
: ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
: me some input on the advantages.

: Thanks

Perhaps you might like to do the following:

  1. first, learn to write the name of the anguage correctly - "Ada",
     not "ADA" - the latter is (among other things) an association of
     dentists :-)

  2. Tell us what you _think_ are the disadvantages of Ada. You might
     buy an argument or 2 :-)

  3. Trim the oversized .signature.

cheers

andrew

  There's nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so - Hamlet
  http://www.gr-lakes.com/~andrew (including PGP key)
  PGP Key fingerprint = 5C 44 7D E4 76 A3 31 DE  3D 11 FA 15 4D 87 1F 5E

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-09  0:00       ` Tom Wheeley
From: Tom Wheeley @ 1997-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1997Apr9.083840.1@eisner>
           kilgallen@eisner.decus.org "Larry Kilgallen" writes:

> In article <860521154snz@tsys.demon.co.uk>, tomw@tsys.demon.co.uk (Tom Wheeley)
>  writes:
> > In article <5ibs79$l8l$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
> >            dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU "Dale Stanbrough" writes:
> >
> >> SiliconJesus writes:
> >>
> >> "I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
> >>  my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
> >>  ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
> >>  me some input on the advantages."
> >>
> >> It's easier to spell than Pascal or Fortran, but not as easy as C.
> >
> > But like C, ADA is palindromic.
>
> Which certainly is an advantage of ADA over Ada !

I'd put it as a disadvantage, as with Ada you are less likely to put things
backwards...

Of course, if you tell someone you know Ada, they are likely to be impressed
that you know a language which most people haven't heard of, and thus haven't
suffered from :-)

Anyway, everyone knows that the development of Ada was sponsored by keyboard
manufacturers in order that programmers wear out their keyboards faster...

--
:sb)

* Re: Advantages of ADA
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-04-09  0:00 ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 1997-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.970407113750.26070F-100000@esus.cs.montana.edu>,
softichj@cs.montana.edu says...

>I was wondering if everyone could pitch in and help me write a paper for
>my CS class.  I'm doing a paper on the advantages and disadvanteges of
>ADA, I know many of the disadvantages and was wondering if you could give
>me some input on the advantages.
>
>Thanks

Pick up a copy of Dr. Dobb's magazine.  Look for the advertisement for PC
lint by Gimpel Software.  You will find a small piece of 'C' code that
is typically less than 10 lines long that has a hidden bug.  These bugs
are typically very subtle and related to the subtle nature of the language.

These kinds of bugs are practically non-existant in Ada.  So... you won't
find yourself puzzling for hours over 10 lines of code.

They're lots of other advantages of Ada, but this is a pretty good simple
example.

I hope this helps,

Steve Doiel

less

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-09  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-04-09  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1997-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

1. You can write your program faster, using higher level constructs
   from the language and more easily re-using your own previous packages.
2. You can debug faster since the compiler and run time checking can
   both help you.
3. You can enhance your program more easily in a year or ten since it
   will likely be less cryptic.

* Re: Advantages of ADA
@ 1997-04-10  0:00         ` Jeff Burns
From: Jeff Burns @ 1997-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Wheeley wrote:

> Anyway, everyone knows that the development of Ada was sponsored by keyboard
> manufacturers in order that programmers wear out their keyboards faster...

Of course this is true.

But it gave software tool manufacturers a golden opportunity to create
language-sensitive editors for Ada that reduce keyboard input.

Isn't it great how our economy works?

P.S. To the student who started this thread:  Check out
http://dejanews.com/ for past postings, rantings, and ravings about the
merits of Ada compared to other languages.

-----------------------------
Jeff Burns
GrammaTech, Inc.
www:  http://www.grammatech.com
Team Ada
Ada-ASSURED
  The ultimate Ada editor
  "Keyboards last up to 50% longer with Ada-ASSURED*"

* your mileage may vary