* 307 + djgpp2.0 -PC crashes
@ 1997-04-06  0:00 108
From: 108 @ 1997-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently needed to use Tasking so I had to upgrade from gnat 301 which
I've been happily using for some time now. This new download installed
and compiles just fine but when I try to run any program (including
those which worked under v301) the program doesn't execute. I get a
quick flick of the screen and the Press any key to continue... phrase
which returns me to adacaps IDE.

Having read the readme's, this appears to be a djgpp problem. Taking
the advice I tried using the OldGo32.exe, this resulted in the program
running properly but when it came time to treminate the program
normally... Iget cpu dump and the system is completly locked, beyond
the ability of ctrl alt del.

Does v2.01 fix this, if not I guess there must be a workaround??
---
AJ say:
Who is the 108 no spam?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

* Re: 307 + djgpp2.0 -PC crashes
@ 1997-04-08  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1997-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Recently needed to use Tasking so I had to upgrade from gnat 301 which
>I've been happily using for some time now. This new download installed
>and compiles just fine but when I try to run any program (including
>those which worked under v301) the program doesn't execute. I get a
>quick flick of the screen and the Press any key to continue... phrase
>which returns me to adacaps IDE.

Well, my first thought is that you have to little conventional memory
left (with Adacaps loaded) to run your program.

Does the compiled program run properly when started from the DOS prompt ?
if not, have you tried running it under the debugger to see where the
problem is hiding ?

>Having read the readme's, this appears to be a djgpp problem. Taking
>the advice I tried using the OldGo32.exe, this resulted in the program
>running properly but when it came time to treminate the program
>normally... Iget cpu dump and the system is completly locked, beyond
>the ability of ctrl alt del.

Somehow that doesn't supprise me... :-)

I wouldn't start blaming GNAT and/or DJGPP just yet, it is far more likely
a problem with the DOS configuration.

Some questions:

- What version of DOS (or Windows?) are you using
- Do you use EMM386 ?
- What does go32-v2 tell you about available memory ?
- What has DOS to say about that ?
- Does your program rely on V1.X specific things ?
- Do you have a small program illustrating the problem ?
- Is CWSDPMI in your path or are you using another DPMI server ?

>Does v2.01 fix this, if not I guess there must be a workaround??

As there is no known problem here, 2.01 doesn't fix this (2.01 is
a minor upgrade, mainly in the libraries, besides there is no GNAT
based on 2.01 - unfortunately...).

--

-- Jerry van Dijk       | Haarlem, Holland
-- Business Consultant  | Team Ada