From: adam@irvine.com (Adam Beneschan)
Subject: New Language Mandate
Date: 1997/04/01
Date: 1997-04-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Readers of this newsgroup are by now well aware that the DoD has said
they would drop the requirement that contractors use Ada.  I've
received some further news on this subject.  DoD has decided that they
need a mandated language, but because of resistance to Ada, they've
decided to try using a different language as the mandated language.
Therefore, as of April 1, 1997 (today), all DoD contractors will be
required to write their software in the Intercal language.  Emmett R.
Paige, Jr., defended the choice of Intercal, saying "It's a widely
used language, and the syntax is very similar to most other computer
languages in existence today.  So we expect that programmers of all
backgrounds will be comfortable with this choice.  We don't expect
much resistance to it."  Contractors who wish to use a different
language will have to request a waiver, and they will need to
demonstrate a significant reason why it makes sense to waive the
requirement.  "In particular", said Paige, "the fact that Intercal is
a joke language will *not* be considered an acceptable reason for
granting a waiver request."

                                -- Adam