From: jhopper@erinet.com (jim hopper)
Subject: Re: Mac memory allocation: NewPtr or Ada's "new"
Date: 1997/03/17
Date: 1997-03-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bill,

gnat calls malloc for new, which is supplied by the mac standard c lib
when doing standalone apps.  calling new should be functionally
equivalant to new_ptr.   If i were you i would check out how the mac
texts suggest c programmers do it (ie malloc vs new_ptr) and do the
same as the issues are identical.  try asking it that way in
comp.sys.mac.programmer.

sorry i don't do c on the mac unless i get paid double ;-)

new_handle on the other hand is a whole nother ball park!  Always use
new_handle rather than creating pointer to pointer so the mac os can
handle memory correctly for you.

jim

--------