From: mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner)
Subject: Re: Algorithms
Date: 1997/03/13
Date: 1997-03-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

To become familiar with which algorithm to use it is easiest if you
develop your skills in three simultaneous areas: (a) theory of algorithms
by reading books about algorithms and I recommend starting with Word
Processing in Groups by Epstein, (b) theory of how to program correctly
and I recommend starting with Discipline of Programming by Dijkstra,
and (c) practical implementation of hundreds of algorithms and I recommend
starting by downloading a thousand random Ada files from the PAL and
analyzing how complex they are and EXACTLY how their preconditions
guarantee they meet their postconditions. Then you will be worthy to
create one of those beautiful algorithms for which the Ada language was
created: an algorithm that works.