From: ig25@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Thomas Koenig)
Subject: Re: Objects in Fortran 2000
Date: 1997/03/06
Date: 1997-03-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In comp.lang.fortran, "Loren P. Meissner" <LPMeissner@msn.com> wrote:

>It was agreed  by WG5 in Februray 1977 that Fortran 2000 will contain
>minimal object-oriented facilities; namely:

[...]

By now, it would almost make more sense to add Fortran features
(especially HPF) to the next Ada standard than to add more
object-oriented features to Fortran.

What's missing in Ada that is present in HPF or Fortran 95?  I
can think of the following, and hope that others will extend the
list:

- FORALL (similar to a DO loop in Fortran, or a for loop in
  Ada, except that the order of execution isn't specified,
  so that automatic paralellization is very easy)

- PURE subroutines, which can't have any side effects (checkable by
  the compiler).  Ideal for sticking into FORALL statements.

- Built-in array arithmetic (quite easy to do with a library in Ada)

I don't think these concepts would 'spoil' Ada, and it does have
a cleaner overall design than Fortran.
--
74 a3 53 cc 0b 19