* MPI for Ada?
@ 1997-03-04  0:00 james buford white
From: james buford white @ 1997-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of any work on an MPI binding
for Ada 95?

---
James B. White, III
white@cis.ohio-state.edu

* Re: MPI for Ada?
@ 1997-03-07  0:00 ` Ken Thomas
From: Ken Thomas @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james buford white

james buford white wrote:

> Does anyone know of any work on an MPI binding
> for Ada 95?
>
> ---
> James B. White, III
> white@cis.ohio-state.edu

I have produced a thickish binding for MPI that I intend to release
soon. It is by no means complete. I have implemented the Group and
Communicator management functions and have extended the stream
attributes for communication and broadcast.

The hardest step is always the most difficult. MPI may be a standard but
the header files "mpi.h" reflect different implementations. The tool
cbind (Mitch Gart) was used to get a first iteration for a thin binding.

One milestone was the function MPI_Init(**argc, **argv) that uses
command line parameters. So far the most elegant way to use MPI is
to call a procedure with spec

	AdaProg(C : Communicator)

from a C-Wrapper.

The binding has been tested on

	Machine		Gnat	MPI
	Sun4(SunOs)	3.09	mpich
	IBM SP2		3.07	vendor
	Meiko CS2	3.07	mpich

Your interest will certainly act as a stimulus for me to do further
work.
--
Dr K.S. Thomas
Department of Electronics and Computer Science

Telephone : (+44) 01703 593029
Fax :       (+44) 01703 593903

email: kst@ecs.soton.ac.uk

* Re: MPI for Ada?
@ 1997-03-08  0:00 ` Laurent Pautet
From: Laurent Pautet @ 1997-03-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    james> Does anyone know of any work on an MPI binding for Ada 95?

If you are interested in message passing and not especially iin MPI,
asynchronous procedures of annex E provide exactly what you are
looking for, and you won't have to write all the low-level procedure
calls.

--
-- Laurent