* Ada and office automation
@ 2011-12-09 15:52 Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2011-12-09 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

A project idea has been tossed around in the office.

The scene: at dusk, as it is getting darker, the
monitors glowing, someone needs to operate the
light switch, if so desired.

That's not cool.

Imagine instead a USB driven rocket launcher
that will shoot some artifact in the direction of
an instrument that turns the lights on and off.

Such as a button pressed by something that hits it with
a suitable momentum. Color and material will be chosen
to match local preferences. Of course, the ammunition
would have to be "smart", too, so as to not litter
the office.

Such as a light barrier that fires when balls made
of tinsel pass the beam. (For style and historical
reference, keep aluminium foil next time someone eats
chocolate, or collect tinsel next Christmas).

* Re: Ada and office automation
@ 2011-12-09 16:08 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-12-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Imagine instead a USB driven rocket launcher
> that will shoot some artifact in the direction of
> an instrument that turns the lights on and off.

I think the Lego Mindstorms have a light sensor (possibly as an extra
add-on; some sensors are available separately from the main bundle),
so it must be possible to construct a robot that will operate the
light switch for you automatically.  This robot could have wheels,
tracks, wings, rocket launchers or a light saber, whatever hits your
fancy :)  Personally I think the robot should throw ammo at you until
you get up, walk to the light switch, and operate it yourself; that
would be your day's exercise :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The Head of Operations benchmarks lessons learned, while the key