* Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-06 16:40 Petter
From: Petter @ 2010-07-06 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I jus downloaded the new GNAT GPL 2010. I'd very much like to
integrate with VS 2008 Express.

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-06 17:29 ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2010-07-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:40:06 +0200, Petter <petter_fryklund@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> I jus downloaded the new GNAT GPL 2010. I'd very much like to
> integrate with VS 2008 Express.

No. The Express versions are not supposed to integrate with anything. Even
if you could work, you might want to take a look at the license terms.
However, the Visual Studio Shell[1] may or may not be the answer to your
problem. Note that Microsoft says[2]: “The Visual Studio shell integrated
mode can be installed together with all editions of Visual Studio except
the Express editions.”
Also, if memory serves correctly, only the .Net edition of GNAT integrates
with Visual Studio. Integration is performed during installation, if
Visual Studio is found.

Albrecht

[1]
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=40646580-97FA-4698-B65F-620D4B4B1ED7&displaylang=en>
[2] <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb685612.aspx>

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-06 18:04   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2010-07-06 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Juli, 19:29, Albrecht Käfer <albrecht_kae...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:40:06 +0200, Petter <petter_frykl...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I jus downloaded the new GNAT GPL 2010. I'd very much like to
> > integrate with VS 2008 Express.
>
> No. The Express versions are not supposed to integrate with anything. Even
> if you could work, you might want to take a look at the license terms.
> However, the Visual Studio Shell[1] may or may not be the answer to your
> problem. Note that Microsoft says[2]: “The Visual Studio shell integrated
> mode can be installed together with all editions of Visual Studio except
> the Express editions.”
> Also, if memory serves correctly, only the .Net edition of GNAT integrates
> with Visual Studio. Integration is performed during installation, if
> Visual Studio is found.
>
> Albrecht
>
> [1]
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=40646580-97F...>
> [2] <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb685612.aspx>

Thanks for responding.

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-06 18:12     ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2010-07-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:04:03 +0200, Petter <petter_fryklund@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>> > I jus downloaded the new GNAT GPL 2010. I'd very much like to
>> > integrate with VS 2008 Express.
>>
>> No. The Express versions are not supposed to integrate with anything.
>> Even
>> if you could work, you might want to take a look at the license terms.
>> However, the Visual Studio Shell[1] may or may not be the answer to your
>> problem. Note that Microsoft says[2]: “The Visual Studio shell
>> integrated
>> mode can be installed together with all editions of Visual Studio except
>> the Express editions.”
>> Also, if memory serves correctly, only the .Net edition of GNAT
>> integrates
>> with Visual Studio. Integration is performed during installation, if
>> Visual Studio is found.
>>
>> Albrecht
>>
>> [1]
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=40646580-97F...>
>> [2] <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb685612.aspx>
>
> Thanks for responding.

If you get it to work, PLEASE tell us.

Albrecht

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-07  3:19 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2010-07-07  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 6, 5:40 pm, Petter <petter_frykl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I jus downloaded the new GNAT GPL 2010. I'd very much like to
> integrate with VS 2008 Express.

To be honest, no version of VS has been easy to integrate with, the
later versions being so due to hefty prices of the SDK. TBH, you're
better off with a decent editor and a command line, you'll learn more
doing it that way.

Luke.

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-08  7:34   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2010-07-08  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Ada for my most of my professional work between 1992
and 2009, apart for a little dabbling with Tcl/Tk. Before that it was
mostly COBOL and 1100/2200 Assembler, UNISYS IPF command language is
very similar to Ada, if it's still around :-) I'd really like to do
more Ada, but I've had to learn .NET and C# and it isn't too bad.
Visual Studio is running circles round GPS, wide circles. I think it
is a little sad. As for decent editor and command line, well I've done
my fair share.

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-07-09 19:19     ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2010-07-09 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:34:19 +0200, Petter <petter_fryklund@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> I've been using Ada for my most of my professional work between 1992
> and 2009, apart for a little dabbling with Tcl/Tk. Before that it was
> mostly COBOL and 1100/2200 Assembler, UNISYS IPF command language is
> very similar to Ada, if it's still around :-) I'd really like to do
> more Ada, but I've had to learn .NET and C# and it isn't too bad.
> Visual Studio is running circles round GPS, wide circles. I think it
> is a little sad. As for decent editor and command line, well I've done
> my fair share.

I rather had the impression that AdaCore is running wide circles around
Windows and Visual Studio. Building Windows GUI applications in Ada is a
right pain in the backside, because there's no decent dialog designer (not
even for .Net). And as mentioned, the Visual Studio integration seems to
be dependent on the phase of the moon (Titan, not Luna).

Albrecht

* Re: Can some please advice on how to integate GNAT GPL 2010 with Visual Studio?
@ 2010-09-01  1:12       ` mjamesb
From: mjamesb @ 2010-09-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you get it to work, PLEASE tell us.

The following worked for me.  Give it try and see if it works for you.

I noticed that:

  http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/projects/fsharp/release.aspx

has been updated with:

  "F# Free Tools for .NET 2.0, 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010: Install the free download of Visual Studio 2010 Shell and then install F# 2.0 (August 2010 release)."

with a link to:

  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8E5AA7B6-8436-43F0-B778-00C3BCA733D3
  "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) Redistributable Package"

so I downloaded and installed this and then ran the GNAT GPL 2010 for .NET installer again.

Taadaa ... I now have a VS2010 entry in my Start menu that launches VS2010 Shell and which offers GNAT Pro.NET (Ada) Application and Library project types.

Oh, and the F# setup works too!  :-)

  - mjamesb