* GNAT 3.14p: Is GNAT.Sockets an internal unit?
@ 2002-02-04 17:50 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-02-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

From GNAT 3.14p User's Guide

>   `-gnatwi (activate warnings on implementation units).'
>         This switch activates warnings for a `with' of an internal
>         GNAT implementation unit, defined as any unit from the `Ada',
>         `Interfaces', `GNAT',  or `System' hierarchies that is not
>         documented in either the Ada Reference Manual or the GNAT
>         Programmer's Reference Manual. Such units are intended only
>         for internal implementation purposes and should not be
>         `with''ed by user programs. The default is that such warnings
>         are generated This warning can also be turned on using
>         `-gnatwa'.

From GNAT 3.14p Reference Manual:

>GNAT.Sockets (g-socket.ads)
>===========================
>
>A high level and portable interface to develop sockets based
>applications.  This package is based on the sockets thin binding found
>in GNAT.Sockets.Thin.  Currently GNAT.Sockets is implemented on all
>native GNAT ports except for OpenVMS. It is not implemented for cross
>ports, and in particular is not implemented for VxWorks or LynxOS.

On Windows XP, with GNAT 3.14p:

--------------------
----- test.adb -----
--------------------
with GNAT.Sockets;

procedure Test is
begin
   null;
end Test;
--------------------

C:\test> gnatmake test
gcc -c test.adb
test.adb:1:10: warning: "Gnat.Sockets" is an internal GNAT unit
test.adb:1:10: warning: use of this unit is non-portable and
version-dependent
gnatbind -x test.ali
gnatlink test.ali

GNAT.Sockets *is* documented in the GNAT Programmer's Reference
Manual. Shouldn't the warning be skipped? Or am I missing something?

                                                     /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: GNAT 3.14p: Is GNAT.Sockets an internal unit?
@ 2002-02-05  1:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> wrote in message news:<64it5uk1o286o33mfvavged1g03aj9to4n@4ax.com>...
> GNAT.Sockets *is* documented in the GNAT Programmer's
> Reference Manual. Shouldn't the warning be skipped? Or am
> I missing something?

Sounds like a bug, perhaps you should report it! Posting
something here is not a bug report.

* Re: GNAT 3.14p: Is GNAT.Sockets an internal unit?
@ 2002-02-05  8:47   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-02-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sounds like a bug, perhaps you should report it!

Will do.

> Posting something here is not a bug report.

Yeah, I know. I wanted to be sure I was understanding correctly the
intended behavior of -gnatwi.

Thanks,

/L/e/k/t/u