From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Novice Ada Programmer Stumped By Simple Type Declaration!
Date: 4 Oct 2001 21:32:08 -0700
Date: 2001-10-05T04:32:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:<V33v7.16265$ev2.26335@www.newsranger.com>...
> A good first step in any such problem is to get rid of all use clauses and try
> to resolve things with full named notation. (I'd also claim that's a good first
> step in *any* situation, but it really is true here :-)

I disagree, I think this is relatively unhelpful advice here.

> It looks like you should be calling URI_Pkg.URI_List_Pkg.Append. But from the
> message you gave, I'm guessing it found it but couldn't resolve the overload. It
> could be that your compiler (Gnat?) was getting confused because you had two
> Unbounded_Array's defined in its scope:

The compiler is not "confused", it merely follows the rules
of Ada, you really should not imply that somehow the
processing of Ada text has some kind of random behavior
depending on whether the compiler gets confused or not.
If you are confused, then that's one thing, but it does
not help to suggest that this confusion is part of the
language :-)

For the trivial solution to the problem, see the next
posted message!