From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: how to print position number of an enumeration variable?
Date: 30 Sep 2001 05:50:17 -0700
Date: 2001-09-30T12:50:17+00:00	[thread overview]

mike@nospam <mike_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<9p6b3m02v4v@drn.newsguy.com>...
> In article <3uvt7.55862$QK.36794657@news1.sttln1.wa.home.com>, "DuckE" says...
> >
> >Perhaps:
> >  Put_Line( "the position number of the first enumeration element is " &
> >                  Integer'Image( Day_Type'Pos( Day_Type'First ) ) );
> >
> >SteveD
> >

> but 'pos is not listed as an attribute. I am looking at page 34-36 of the RM,
> and I do not see such attribute for scalar types (that is why I asked), and enum
> is scalar type.
>
> strange. But thanks!
>
> mike

Yes, but 'Pos is not defined for all scalar types, so of
course you do not see it there, instead look for attributes
of discrete types and you will find it in RM 3.5.5.

But a little higher level advice, you definitely need to
improve your skills in finding things in the RM. Two
suggestions:

1. If you have a paper copy (or an electronic copy), use
the index. That is what it is there for! The index is quite
complete, and there is an entry for Pos that points to
3.5.5.

2. Get an electronic copy. There are HTML versions around,
but I prefer a straight ASCII version easily searched in
any editor, and then just search for Pos.