From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: compiler server ...... for Gnat
Date: 19 Sep 2001 13:18:51 -0700
Date: 2001-09-19T20:18:52+00:00	[thread overview]

Tony Gair <tonygair@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<20010918135517.5d3a4ba1.tonygair@blueyonder.co.uk>...

> It would also be helpful to know peoples thoughts on
> the difficulty and wether I would be sued for doing this.

Well anyone can sue anyone for anything, but if you are
worrying about whether modifying GNAT in this kind of
direction would somehow cause you to be sued by ACT, then
the answer is of course not. The whole point of Free Software is to
encourage such invention and adaptation,
that's why the sources are made available, and we are
happy to see people using GNAT for this kind of purpose,
since one of the original goals of GNAT was to provide
a Free Software system suitable for such experimentation.

As to difficulty, I would actually guess that you don't
need to modify GNAT itself, but rather just wrap it in
appropriate scripts, and that should make the project
much more practical.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies