From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Commentary on Industry Move to C++
Date: 24 Aug 2001 09:59:06 -0700
Date: 2001-08-24T16:59:06+00:00	[thread overview]

"Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:<3b85b1fc_1@news3.prserv.net>...

> I don't know what is your industry. But industry in general has
> already moved to Java and VB and will be moving pretty soon to C#.
> According to recent statistics (don't remember the source -
> Gartner?...) number of programmers using Java is karger than the
> number of programmers using C++

And the number of programmers using WORD macros is no doubt even
higher, as is the number of programmers using Visual Basic and COBOL,
but raw numbers like this don't tell you much.

Certainly in large segments of the industry, in particular the
segments in which Ada is a large player, Java has only a slight
presence, and is unlikely to make substantial inroads in the near
future. It will be a while before we have either a commercial plane
or a military fighter, or an air traffic control system entirely
programmed in Java, if ever. As for the C# comment, this is mere
speculation -- a lot of observers, even those who think that .NET will
be wildly successful (itself not a forgone conclusion) think that
other languages will dominate C# in this environment.

Just because Microsoft champions something does not mean it will
succeed. Remember that OS/2 version 1 was a Microsoft production,
as were the pre 3.0 windows versions.