* Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-16  8:30 Reinert Korsnes
From: Reinert Korsnes @ 2001-08-16  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is it possible/practical to produce C++ code by first making Ada95 code
and then from this produce C++ (via Gnat) ?  Just a bad idea ?

(I would prefer to make/test Ada95 code rather than C++)

reinert

--
http://home.chello.no/~rkorsnes

* Re: Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-16  9:22 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-08-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9lg0gs$9dv$1@snipp.uninett.no>, Reinert Korsnes <Reinert.Korsnes@ffi.no> writes:

> Is it possible/practical to produce C++ code by first making Ada95 code
> and then from this produce C++ (via Gnat) ?  Just a bad idea ?

It should not be possible via GNAT, since GNAT and G++ are two
different front-ends to the same back end.  The fact that GNAT
can emit Java byte code is an anomoly to support the Java byte
code engine as a "target".  GNAT generally emits either machine
code (in ASCII) or assembler code (I don't know which).

> (I would prefer to make/test Ada95 code rather than C++)

Averstar can sell you an Ada compiler that emits ANSI C, which
might be a subset of C++ (for the subset of ANSI C they use).
But since you wanted C++ you probably wanted it to use features
of C++ that are not in C.

* Re: Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-16 10:36   ` sk
From: sk @ 2001-08-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> GNAT generally emits either machine code (in ASCII)

Machine code in ASCII ???  ... how limiting :-)

> or assembler code (I don't know which).

gnatmake -S <filename>

generates an assembly listing (-S goes to gcc rather
than gnatmake).

* Re: Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-16 12:01   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-08-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <9lg0gs$9dv$1@snipp.uninett.no>, Reinert Korsnes <Reinert.Korsnes@ffi.no> writes:
>
> > Is it possible/practical to produce C++ code by first making Ada95 code
> > and then from this produce C++ (via Gnat) ?  Just a bad idea ?
>
> It should not be possible via GNAT, since GNAT and G++ are two
> different front-ends to the same back end.  The fact that GNAT
> can emit Java byte code is an anomoly to support the Java byte
> code engine as a "target".  GNAT generally emits either machine
> code (in ASCII) or assembler code (I don't know which).

_JGNAT_, not GNAT, emits Java byte code.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-16 14:03     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-08-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.997958311.11304.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, sk <sknipe@ktc.com> writes:
>> GNAT generally emits either machine code (in ASCII)
>
> Machine code in ASCII ???  ... how limiting :-)

Not to computers, just to humans.

	06435834
	96754834
	23706421
	75325326

The only purpose of a symbolic representation is to coddle humans :-)

* Re: Make C++ via Ada95/Gnat ?
@ 2001-08-17  1:22 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-08-17  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reinert Korsnes <Reinert.Korsnes@ffi.no> wrote in message news:<9lg0gs$9dv$1@snipp.uninett.no>...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible/practical to produce C++ code by first making Ada95 code
> and then from this produce C++ (via Gnat) ?  Just a bad idea ?
>
> (I would prefer to make/test Ada95 code rather than C++)
>
> reinert

No, it is not possible to translate Ada to C++ using GNAT, since
in no sense does GNAT translate Ada to either C or C++ during
compilation.

There is no technology I am aware of that can translate Ada code to
high level C++ code, nor is it easy to conceive of anything that
would achieve a 100% translation that resulted in useful and
readable C++, so the conception here is basically flawed. If you
want C++ you must write in C++ :-(