From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Dual_IO (2)
Date: 28 Jul 2001 11:42:25 -0700
Date: 2001-07-28T18:42:25+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:<QOW77.7754$ar1.25040@www.newsranger.com>...
> 2) There appear to be no copyright notices or license information
> anywhere. As Dr. Dewar is fond of pointing out, that means (at least
> in the US) that we are not allowed *any* rights to the sources
> whatsoever. Is that really what you want?

Please do not misquote me and spread inaccurate information, it means
nothing of the kind. The point is that in the US (and in Europe and
elsewhere), the copyright status and licensing status of a document
are independent of any statement in the document. You cannot depend
merely on a statement in a document (since you have no way of knowing
whether it was written by the legitimate copyright holder). If there
is no notice, then you must look elsewhere for this information in
any case, but the mere lack of a notice does not mean that "you are
not allowed *any* rights to the sources whatsoever". For all you know
this software is released under some permissive license.

It is of course appropriate to ask WHAT license is intended.

Robert Dewar