* Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-02 17:55 Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2001-07-02 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

I've read some allusions at Robert Dewar not being active in c.l.a
currently. Why?

Cheers,

Alejandro R. Mosteo
mailto: 402450@cepsz.unizar.uu_remove_uu.es

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-02 17:57 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2001-07-02 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On  2/07, Alejandro R . Mosteo wrote:

| I've read some allusions at Robert Dewar not being active in c.l.a
| currently. Why?

Could he be working instead of chatting?

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-02 18:32 ` Brian Catlin
From: Brian Catlin @ 2001-07-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too miss Robert's insights and encyclopedic knowledge of Ada.  I hope his disappearance is only temporary.

 -Brian

@ 2001-07-02 21:18   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-07-02 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brian Catlin" <briancatlin@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<9hqeol$cnd$1@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>...

Robert watches CLA from time to time, but really does not have time
to post much, except to correct misconceptions about GNAT that appear
from time to time :-)

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-02 22:23     ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2001-07-02 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:
> "Brian Catlin" <briancatlin@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> Robert watches CLA from time to time, but really does not have time
> to post much, except to correct misconceptions about GNAT that appear
> from time to time :-)

So, the more misconceptions we post ...

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03  6:15     ` Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2001-07-03  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> "Robert watches CLA from time to time, but really does not have time
> to post much, except to correct misconceptions about GNAT that appear
> from time to time :-)

Hmmmmmmmm.   Misconceptions will coax Robert to participate.  :-)

        1.  GNAT is actually secretly developed in Redmond, WA by Microsoft.

        2.  GNAT will be used for the next generation of IBM's operating systems.

        3.  ACT is building a software version of Babbage's Analytical Engine that
             will only be programmable using GNAT.

        4.  GNAT will be the first Ada compiler to include a pragma DWIM.

        5.  The fully operational version of the MacIntosh GNAT compiler will
              be released by ACT at the end of the Summer of 2001.

        6.  The most detailed, comprehensive debugger devised for any programming
              language will be GNAT's new  GNITpicker environment.

        7.   ACT has decided it has made enough money with its current business strategy
              and will soon become a completely philanthropic organization with regard to
              software.   They will however, commercialize the ever popular musical series,
              and produce a CD of Lady Ada music.   Yeah, Karen.

        8.   Dr. Robert Dewar has decided to abandon Ada entirely and devote his software
              acumen to the development of an entirely new language based on the mathematics
              of Wittgenstein.

   Any misconceptions in there, Robert?    :-)

   Richard Riehle

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03 13:23   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-07-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.994096693.14136.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, Samuel Tardieu
says...

>On  2/07, Alejandro R . Mosteo wrote:
>
>| I've read some allusions at Robert Dewar not being active in c.l.a
>| currently. Why?
>
>Could he be working instead of chatting?

I think that's roughly the situation. If you really need your daily Dewar fix,
you can always read through the gcc mailing list archives at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/

---

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03 14:12       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-07-03 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B4162F7.8A8B4146@ix.netcom.com>, Lao Xiao Hai says...
>Hmmmmmmmm.   Misconceptions will coax Robert to participate.  :-)
>
>        6.  The most detailed, comprehensive debugger devised for any programming
>              language will be GNAT's new  GNITpicker environment.

The way I heard it, GNITpicker is the name for the new expanded programming
environment based around Gnat's old style-checking mode. This mode has been
significanly expanded to include a far wider range of formatting and
captialization checks. Now there is only one proper way to format a source file,
and Gnat will refuse to compile until you find it.

GNITpicker is more that just a compilation flag though. There is now extensive
integrated semantic checking. This is interfaced through ASIS to provide a whole
Emacs environment for critiquing the quality of your source code as you type it.
Feedback is provided through cute anthropomorphic insect "emacs assistant" who
periodicly flutters up from the lower right corner of your emacs buffer and says
helpful things like: "I see you are trying to write a sort. But no competent
software engineer would use that algorithm." or "I see that you are writing a
state-machine without using goto..."

When not advising the developers, the insect will perform amusing acts like
laying eggs on the mini-buffer or flying into a bugzapper and releasing a shower
of sparks.

---

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03 14:47       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2001-07-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lao Xiao Hai <laoxhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:
:        1.  GNAT is actually secretly developed in Redmond, WA by Microsoft.

on that occasion...
I've heard that GNAT 1.0 has been in the PD. Is that true?

Georg

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03 14:53         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-07-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9hsltn$gio$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>, Georg Bauhaus says...

>Lao Xiao Hai <laoxhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>:
>:        1.  GNAT is actually secretly developed in Redmond, WA by Microsoft.
>
>on that occasion...
>I've heard that GNAT 1.0 has been in the PD. Is that true?

Ohhhh! That's a good one. I can just see the folks at ACT dragging Robert away
from the keyboard right now. :-)

---

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-03 21:58         ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-07-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> I've heard that GNAT 1.0 has been in the PD. Is that true?

Of course, since GNAT is written in C and compiled with gcc, which is
distributed under the GPL, which requires this.

--
Jeffrey Carter

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-04 14:10           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-07-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:<o%k07.5741$Kf3.48761@www.newsranger.com>...
> Ohhhh! That's a good one. I can just see the folks at ACT dragging
> Robert away from the keyboard right now. :-)

Actually it is this kind of frivolous junk in CLA that has resulted
in me deciding not to spend more than a few minuts a day with the
newsgroup!

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-05  7:38           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-07-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <jeffrey.carter@boeing.com> wrote in message news:<3B424017.B772A09D@boeing.com>...
> Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> > I've heard that GNAT 1.0 has been in the PD. Is that true?
>
> Of course, since GNAT is written in C and compiled with gcc, which is
> distributed under the GPL, which requires this.

Hmmm! That's the only silly comment in this thread which i can imagine
someone taking seriously. It is of course entirely false, and indeed
I would assume anything else in this thread is likely to also be
nothing but flame bait, so I am killing the thread now :-)

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-05 13:15             ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-07-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:
> <o%k07.5741$Kf3.48761@www.newsranger.com>...
> > Ohhhh! That's a good one. I can just see the folks at ACT dragging
> > Robert away from the keyboard right now. :-)
>
> Actually it is this kind of frivolous junk in CLA that has resulted
> in me deciding not to spend more than a few minuts a day with the
> newsgroup!

Robert is certainly entitled to his opinion, and I'm sure we will all
benefit from his increased time working on GNAT.

But I enjoy the occasional bit of humor. I get little enough
opportunity for it at work; this newsgroup has about the right amount
for me.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Where is Robert?
@ 2001-07-05 17:46             ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-07-05 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Jeffrey Carter <jeffrey.carter@boeing.com> wrote in message news:<3B424017.B772A09D@boeing.com>...
> > Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> > > I've heard that GNAT 1.0 has been in the PD. Is that true?
> >
> > Of course, since GNAT is written in C and compiled with gcc, which is
> > distributed under the GPL, which requires this.
>
> Hmmm! That's the only silly comment in this thread which i can imagine
> someone taking seriously. It is of course entirely false, and indeed
> I would assume anything else in this thread is likely to also be
> nothing but flame bait, so I am killing the thread now :-)

Oh, good. I was afraid I might have inadvertently got something right.

--
Jeffrey Carter