From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Porting GNAT to Debian Hurd
Date: 22 Jun 2001 13:48:37 -0700
Date: 2001-06-22T20:48:38+00:00	[thread overview]

"B. Douglas Hilton" <doug.hilton@engineer.com> wrote in message news:<3B2AE5F4.59E4ABE8@engineer.com>...

> To do that, I need to compile gnat in a cross-compilation
> configuration in Linux; it would be a minor feat, but is theoretically
> possible.

Building a cross-compiler is quite straightforward if you are
reasonably familiar with gcc. If you are not reasonbly familiar
with gcc, then porting GNAT is likely to be an out of range task
anyway, and you should first acquire this familiarity, e.g. by
first building GNU C from sources, then doing a cross compile of
GNU C, and then, and only then try the GNAT port.

This is not just theoretically possible, it is the standard way
of proceeding and, as above, is quite straightforward. The hard
part of a GNAT port is the tasking and the tools (particularly
the debugger).