* Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-12  0:00 "Fred H. Turner, III"
From: "Fred H. Turner, III" @ 1997-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

After searching the Web at length, I have been able to find only two
possible solutions for an Ada95 development system on my Mac. I'm currently
taking the first of two Ada95 courses, and would like to be able to do the
work at home. I bought CodeWarrior for an intro C course that I took last
quarter, but I'd rather not have to go right back out and buy another
compiler. So far, though, it looks like the only options are
Unix-on-top-of-Mac-based, and that they are far from free. The only two
solutions that seem to fit the bill are the GNAT compiler/translator
running in Tenon's MachTen or the new CodeBuilder (but even that's gonna be
$100), and the MkLinux OS being developed by Apple (actually, I'm just
assuming that, since it is a Unix-like environment, you can develop Ada
programs with the supported GCC stuff, but I don't even really know exactly
what "GCC" is...)

For starters, I guess that there's no fully-Macintosh way to develop Ada
programs-- you have to do it in a Unix environment, right? With that said,
I guess the GNAT/MachTen/CodeBuilder would do the trick, but I can't see
talking Dad (that's where the funds come from, you see... :) out of more
money when I just bought CodeWarrior a couple of months ago. The MkLinux
option sounds like it would work, but, while this is free, it requires a
minimum of 300 megs disk space, which I would have to purchase anyway. So,
I guess my biggest question is: Have I missed any other possibilities and
is there a simpler way to implement the two (GNAT and MkLinux) solutions
above? Thanks for any help and info that you can provide.

L8r,
Fred

P.S. I don't suppose there's any way to make use of my CodeWarrior
investment while learning Ada...?

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-13  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <turnefh-ya02408000R1201972323100001@news.earthlink.net>, turnefh@mail.auburn.edu ("Fred H. Turner, III") writes:

> For starters, I guess that there's no fully-Macintosh way to develop Ada
> programs-- you have to do it in a Unix environment, right?

That is correct.  There is no amount of money which could produce
a non-Unix full Macintosh Ada95 development environment before your
class is concluded.

> P.S. I don't suppose there's any way to make use of my CodeWarrior
> investment while learning Ada...?

No, Metrowerks had no Ada offering, and they have recently committed
to some _very_ large tasks in supporting the most recently announced
Apple plans for Operating System changes.  Even if Metrowerks were very
interested in Ada (no sign of that), business priorities draw them
to other projects.

Actually, for those of us interested in Ada running on regular
operating systems, Metrowerks priorities seem quite similar to
many of the Ada compiler vendors.  Both are drawn to supporting
various "embedded" target environments, although Metrowerks choice
of targets indicates they are not chasing after US military dollars.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-13  0:00   ` Dr. John B. Matthews
From: Dr. John B. Matthews @ 1997-01-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1997Jan13.064244.1@eisner>, kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
> In article <turnefh-ya02408000R1201972323100001@news.earthlink.net>, turnefh@mail.auburn.edu ("Fred H. Turner, III") writes:
>
>> For starters, I guess that there's no fully-Macintosh way to develop Ada
>> programs-- you have to do it in a Unix environment, right?
>
> That is correct.  There is no amount of money which could produce
> a non-Unix full Macintosh Ada95 development environment before your
> class is concluded.

Well, Tenon's CodeBuilder, which hosts the GNU Ada 95 compiler among
others, is a UNIX, but it's also a well-behaved Mac application. You
can use your favorite Mac editor (BBEdit, Alpha, MPW...) or the
"built-in" editor vi. You can type "macmake myprog" or invoke your
favorite QuicKeys macro. Etc.

I'd say it's "fully-Macintosh", although it may be more like MPW
than CodeWarrior. And the resulting applications _are_ fully
stand-alone, royalty-free, double-clickable programs. Of course, CB
is PowerPc only.

>> P.S. I don't suppose there's any way to make use of my CodeWarrior
>> investment while learning Ada...?

Actually, objects produced by CW can be linked into CB. I haven't
tried vice-versa, but that should work, too. And ZoneRanger is a
useful tool in either environment.

John
John B. Matthews, M.D.
jmatthews@nova.wright.edu, john_matthews@ccmail.dayton.saic.com
"Whom the gods would destroy, they first invite to program in C"

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 ` amas
From: amas @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: turnefh

In article <turnefh-ya02408000R1201972323100001@news.earthlink.net>,
  turnefh@mail.auburn.edu ("Fred H. Turner, III") wrote:

I don't know the differences between Ada95 and other variations, though
the if you follow the following link you should find an ada compiler,
known as Adaed for the Macintosh:

  ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/gw-adaed/mac/

I used it some time ago, though I have no idea if it has gone through any
changes.  Download and try!

Andre-John

P.S. Writing an ada plug-in for MW Codewarrior certainly sounds like an
interesting idea for someone who want to improve the support for the
language on the Macintosh.

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 ` Dana Miller
From: Dana Miller @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <turnefh-ya02408000R1201972323100001@news.earthlink.net>,
turnefh@mail.auburn.edu ("Fred H. Turner, III") wrote:

> After searching the Web at length, I have been able to find only two
<homeric tale of web search deleted>

> P.S. I don't suppose there's any way to make use of my CodeWarrior
> investment while learning Ada...?

I hope you got the student price of ~US$100 for CW and not the full bore
~US$350?  Oops, I'm sorry, should I not have told you that?

Plan B(e) is to use your Mac like I do, and log onto some remote Linux or
UN*X box WITH gnat or one of many other Ada (watch that capitilization
there Dana!) compilers..  An do you code development remotely.  Its the
next best thing to being there!

Plan C.  Write an Ada compiler _In Codewarior_ or port GNAT to the Mac via
Code Warior.  If you do that I'm certain any decent instructor would give
you an A+ and take you out for lunch to boot!  And you didn't think life
was enought of a chalange?

--
"I'm always baffled by the number of software people who think fast code is better than correct code!"  Me.

dmiller@iquest.net
Senior Software Engineer and jack of all trades.

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 Anita Holmgren
From: Anita Holmgren @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dana Miller wrote:
> Plan B(e) is to use your Mac like I do, and log onto some remoteLinux or
> UN*X box WITH gnat or one of many other Ada (watch that capitilization
> there Dana!) compilers..  An do you code development remotely.  Its the
> next best thing to being there!
>
> Plan C.  Write an Ada compiler _In Codewarior_ or port GNAT to the Mac via
> Code Warior.  If you do that I'm certain any decent instructor would give
> you an A+ and take you out for lunch to boot!  And you didn't think life
> was enought of a chalange?

Plan D. Buy CodeBuilder.  Ada95 is now available on Macintosh.  See
www.tenon.com/products/codebuilder. This is the gnat-mac compiler hosted
on a Power Mac for developing both UNIX and Mac apps.

-Anita

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-01-22  0:00 ` amas
From: amas @ 1997-01-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: turnefh

Following up from the previous reply, if yoy visit the Walnut Creek
CD-ROM archive (http://www.cdrom.com/) you will find a CD with plenty
of Ada related stuff:

   http://www.cdrom.com/pub/ada/

and if you visit the following link you will find under George Washington
University some of their Ada products:

   http://www.cdrom.com/pub/ada/userdocs/html/cardcat/00_IdxG.html

And if you want to buy the CD (most of the stuff appears to be available
straight from the web server aswell) then check out the following link:

   http://www.cdrom.com/titles/prog/ada.htm

Do let me know if all this proves to be of any use.

Andre-John

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-25  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1997-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <853866956.23153@dejanews.com>,  <amas@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:

>I don't know the differences between Ada95 and other variations, though
>the if you follow the following link you should find an ada compiler,
>known as Adaed for the Macintosh:

>  ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/gw-adaed/mac/

>I used it some time ago, though I have no idea if it has gone through any
>changes.  Download and try!

This is a nice little system for learning Ada 83. It runs on "small"
Macs and has a Mac-like IDE. It is based on NYU's Ada/Ed-C, a fast
version of the original Ada/Ed. At GW, we ported the compiler to the Mac
and added the IDE.

No further development is being done on this; NYU's Ada/Ed team became the
NYU GNAT team and subsequently the core of ACT. And at GW, we are on to other
things.

I am a member of the team responsible for the MachTen CodeBuilder port
of GNAT. CodeBuilder is available (for PowerMacs) at $99. You get
a nice, full Unix that runs as a Mac application (so you can run your
other Mac stuff in other windows), along with all the GNU languages
(C, C++, Objective C, GNAT, etc.) and other goodies.

My role in the project was testing and developing documentation and
examples. I used the system heavily and really came to like it. Tenon
has done a nice piece of work! (I have no formal relationship to Tenon.)

>Andre-John
>
>P.S. Writing an ada plug-in for MW Codewarrior certainly sounds like an
>interesting idea for someone who want to improve the support for the
>language on the Macintosh.

Writing an Ada compiler (or any language of its type) is a BIG project.
Definitely not for novices or 1-person teams. A good _port_ of GNAT
to a new platform is a person-year's work, and all the GNU stuff was
designed to be ported.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
       Pork is all that money the government gives the other guys.
Ada on the WWW: www.acm.org/sigada/education or www.adahome.com

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-26  0:00       ` William  C Brennan
From: William  C Brennan @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2601970949060001@news.his.com>,
heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) wrote:

> Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?
>
> I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
> A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
> but I still haven't seen my copy yet.

I ordered mine on Jan. 7 and am still waiting as well.

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-26  0:00     ` Kevin D. Heatwole
From: Kevin D. Heatwole @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5celte$88g@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
Feldman) wrote:

>I am a member of the team responsible for the MachTen CodeBuilder port
>of GNAT. CodeBuilder is available (for PowerMacs) at $99. You get
>a nice, full Unix that runs as a Mac application (so you can run your
>other Mac stuff in other windows), along with all the GNU languages
>(C, C++, Objective C, GNAT, etc.) and other goodies.

Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?

I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
but I still haven't seen my copy yet.

Kevin

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-26  0:00       ` Jim Hopper
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) writes:

> Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?
>
> I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
> A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
> but I still haven't seen my copy yet.
>
> Kevin

Well i have mine so i know it exists ;-)  (note i was also part of the
development team).  Anita (from Tenon) reads this list so i expect she
will answer for tenon officially.  People were able to purchase them
(and take them with them) at Macworld in SF.  I have had a number of
emails from people who are working with it, so far all are happy
campers ;-)

Future updates to the Powermac version will be found on the NYU server
with all the other gnat ports, and hopefully will be released
concurrently with them from now on as well. (including the full up
MachTen version).

best jim

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-26  0:00       ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2601970949060001@news.his.com>,
heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) wrote:

>Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?
>
>I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
>A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
>but I still haven't seen my copy yet.

Here's the response I got from Tenon a few days ago:

>Thank you for your order!  All CodeBuilder backorders are scheduled to ship
>on Friday, January 24th, via 2-day Federal Express.  You should receive
>your package on Tuesday, January 28th.

So Tuesday's the day!  I guess it's also time for me to start thinking
about a new hard drive...

matt

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-27  0:00         ` Kevin D. Heatwole
From: Kevin D. Heatwole @ 1997-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mheaney-ya023280002601971052470001@news.ni.net>, mheaney@ni.net
(Matthew Heaney) wrote:

>In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2601970949060001@news.his.com>,
>heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) wrote:
>
>>Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?
>>
>>I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
>>A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
>>but I still haven't seen my copy yet.
>
>Here's the response I got from Tenon a few days ago:
>
>>Thank you for your order!  All CodeBuilder backorders are scheduled to ship
>>on Friday, January 24th, via 2-day Federal Express.  You should receive
>>your package on Tuesday, January 28th.
>
>So Tuesday's the day!  I guess it's also time for me to start thinking
>about a new hard drive...

I received CodeBuilder today (Monday)!  It looks like a very nice package
and should be well worth the asking price of $99.

Now, if I can just find the time to install it and try it out...

Kevin

@ 1997-01-27  0:00       ` Anita Holmgren
From: Anita Holmgren @ 1997-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin D. Heatwole

Kevin D. Heatwole wrote:

> In article <5celte$88g@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
> Feldman) wrote:
>
> >I am a member of the team responsible for the MachTen CodeBuilder port
> >of GNAT. CodeBuilder is available (for PowerMacs) at $99. You get
> >a nice, full Unix that runs as a Mac application (so you can run your
> >other Mac stuff in other windows), along with all the GNU languages
> >(C, C++, Objective C, GNAT, etc.) and other goodies.
>
> Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?
>
> I ordered mine fron Tenon just after Tri-Ada and have yet to receive it.
> A few weeks ago, Tenon indicated that they would be shipping last week,
> but I still haven't seen my copy yet.

Kevin,  although Tenon did have a limited number of CodeBuilder units to
sell at Macworld, we didn't officially start shipping until Friday (Jan
24th).  So you and others who are waiting should have CodeBuilder very
shortly.

-Anita

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-28  0:00           ` Jim Hopper
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2701971917140001@news.his.com>
heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) writes:

> I received CodeBuilder today (Monday)!  It looks like a very nice package
> and should be well worth the asking price of $99.
>
> Now, if I can just find the time to install it and try it out...
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

3.07 is on the cd.  the 3.09 update for codebuilder in
cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/powermac will update you to newst version. sorry we
didnt get these releases synched but its really easy to update.

note 3.09 is available at same place for those of you with the original
machten 4.0.3.  note you will also need the cu1 update from
ftp.tenon.com (or form their ported apps cd) if you don't already have
it.

jim

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-28  0:00           ` Laurent Gasser
From: Laurent Gasser @ 1997-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2701971917140001@news.his.com>, heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) writes:

> >In article <heatwole-ya02408000R2601970949060001@news.his.com>,
> >heatwole@his.com (Kevin D. Heatwole) wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone actually gotten the CodeBuilder CD yet?

> I received CodeBuilder today (Monday)!  It looks like a very nice package
> and should be well worth the asking price of $99.
>
> Now, if I can just find the time to install it and try it out...
>
> Kevin

Same experience here, in Switzerland.  (FedEx is efficient, really!).

And the same regrets about my planning of the week... ;-)

--
Laurent Gasser (lga@sma.ch)
Computers do not solve problems, they execute solutions.

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-29  0:00             ` Jim Hopper
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh yea, please note...

Codebuilder comes with emacs and adamode preinstalled thanks to Cyrille
Comar of ACT who kind of insisted ;-)

In addition to the compiler and John Matthews excellent Ada bindings to
the MacOS, it also has ada aware gdb, David Wheelers excellent tutorial
Lovelace, the new ACT documentation in HTML, and a nice shareware mac
editor which is ada aware (ALPHA).  There is a nice start at an object
oriented application framework for developing mac applications in ada
by Marinus A. van der Lugt, as well as mac perl and Tom Qiggles nice
little script aimap to get that capitalization correct.  with a little
work you can use aimap from inside alpha as well as from the unix
command line. Oh and Mike Feldman and Art Evans wrote some nice
documentation on mac specific issues with using gnat, as well as a nice
little beginning tutorial for using ada aware gdb. theres a number of
nice things on the cd which are not immediately obvious so look around!

best jim

-------