From: jhopper@erinet.com (Jim Hopper)
Subject: Re: "Bugs"
Date: 1997/01/29
Date: 1997-01-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.970114142048.28412A-100000@nunic.nu.edu>
Richard Riehle <rriehle@nunic.nu.edu> writes:

> RR> "  The original "bug" was an actual insect that orginated outside the
> RR>   computer in which it appeared.  If an error in one program
> RR>   originates in some other program, it might be a "bug" in that
> RR>   receiving program,but it is probably someone else's mistake."
> >

> RD> This is an old bit of urban legend, but is wrong, the term bug is very
> RD> old. We are talking about meaning 3b in OED II:
> RD>
> RD> "A defect or fault in a machine, plan, or the like, orig U.S."

actually i belive it was grace hopper who first used this term in
conjunction with an insect that was taken out of a computer.  i have a
dim memory of seeing a picture of her holding the bug with up with some
tweezers or the like to be photographed.  also that she taped said bug
in a logbook and recorded it. but like i say its a dim memory.

jim hopper

(not related to Grace Hopper as far as i know)