From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: fr.comp.lang.ada, pour discuter en fran�ais du langage Ada
Date: 1997/01/25
Date: 1997-01-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5c54p8$oov@ns1.sw-eng.falls-church.va.us>,
Philip Brashear <brashear@ns1.sw-eng.falls-church.va.us> wrote:
>As an English-speaking/reading person, I certainly have no objection to
>seeing French (or German, or Swahili, or even my native Hillbilly) postings.
>I'd hate to think that I was so language-biased
>that I couldn't recognize the worth of other forms of expression.
>(Now, when it comes to software engineering languages, as opposed to
>natural languages, that's a whole different ball game!)

I second Phil's emotion. One of the very nice things about the
Internet is its international flavor. Even though it started here in the
US, it is truly worldwide now, and that is its charm.

I have NO objection to seeing articles posted in other languages. I
read French and Dutch fluently and might even try to write some in
followup. There is no rule that requires news posts to be in
English, and anyone who'd discourage other languages is just being
xenophobic (IMHO). If you don;t understand the language of a post,
that's what the "next message" key is for!

In any case, I am really saddened by the growing trend to set up
(natural-) language-specific groups for French, German, and whatever.
Why should we trake a wonderfully worldwide community and balkanize it?
Silly, IMHO!

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
       Pork is all that money the government gives the other guys.
Ada on the WWW: www.acm.org/sigada/education or www.adahome.com