* Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-15  0:00 Chris Polhemus
From: Chris Polhemus @ 1997-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: polhemus

I am in the process of learning Ada.  I am looking for a good book in
which I can pick up the language quickly and learn from it.

* Re: Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-16  0:00 ` Brian A. Rogers
From: Brian A. Rogers @ 1997-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:22:45 -0500, Chris Polhemus
<polhemus@gelac.mar.lmco.com> wrote:

>I am in the process of learning Ada.  I am looking for a good book in
>which I can pick up the language quickly and learn from it.

Well... I use two sources, and it works pretty well...

Barnes, J.G.P., Programming in Ada plus Language Reference Manual (3rd
edition), Addison Wesley.

The Lovelace Tutorial, a link to which is at www.adahome.com.

Hope this helps...

-Brian

* Re: Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-16  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 1997-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Polhemus (polhemus@gelac.mar.lmco.com) wrote:
: I am in the process of learning Ada.  I am looking for a good book in
: which I can pick up the language quickly and learn from it.

I tried replying by mail, but my mail bounced, so at the risk of appearing
immodest, can I suggest you look at "Ada 95: the Craft of Object-Oriented
Programming" by yours truly (pub. Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-230350-7).

There is a capsule review by Magnus Kempe at http://www.adahome.com, and
you can see the table of contents, three complete sample chapters and
various other stuff at http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je/adacraft

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | fax: (+44) 1273 642405
 University of Brighton    |

* Re: Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-19  0:00   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1997-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <32dd9bc5.4466783@newshost.cs.rose-hulman.edu> rogersba@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu (Brian A. Rogers) writes:
[...]
> Barnes, J.G.P., Programming in Ada plus Language Reference Manual (3rd
> edition), Addison Wesley.

This book has been superseded by _Programming in Ada 95_ by J.G.P. Barnes.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@aonix.com <http://www.aonix.com> <*>
TeleSo^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsy^H^H^H^H Thomson Softw^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Aonix

* Re: Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-24  0:00     ` Richard A. O'Keefe
From: Richard A. O'Keefe @ 1997-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kst@aonix.com (Keith Thompson) writes:

>This book has been superseded by _Programming in Ada 95_ by J.G.P. Barnes.

Which is a heckuva good book.

--
My tertiary education cost a quarter of a million in lost income
(assuming close-to-minimum wage); why make students pay even more?

* Re: Good ADA book
@ 1997-01-26  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris asks

"I am in the process of learning Ada.  I am looking for a good book in
which I can pick up the language quickly and learn from it."

I am posting this reply since other students reading CLA can benefit
from it.

Before you post questions to a newsgroup, make an effort to read and
understand the FAQ associated with the newsgroup. This has two benefits,
one to you, and one to the community.

First, to you, you will get a carefully thought out complete answer to
questions like this one (looking for books), that have been carefully
prepared and reviewed. You will find this much more useful than the
scattershot responses you are likely to get directly from the newsgroup,
which will range from highly informed to completely uninformed, and even,
in a case like this, to replies from authors pushing their own books (not
exactly an objective source of information!)

Second, you help to improve the signal to noise ratio on the newsgroup
this way. This particular question (looking for books) gets posted
pretty frequently. Not only do the questions generate low signal messages,
but worse, people often reply to such messages by posting the answers,
rather than using email, further raising the noise ratio.

In the case of Ada, you can find the answer to this and many other
questions of interest at the extremely well done home page
http://www.adahome.com

* Re: FAQ, where? (Was: Good ADA book)
@ 1997-01-27  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laurent asked

" Could you be kind and remind us how we could access to the FAQ.  I
 haven't seen a message with this header for a long time (more than
 a year, if my memory serves me well).

 Or is the following, "the official FAQ" of comp.lang.ada ?

Indeed, I did post the information, namely the URL www.adahome.com. It is hard
to know how an FAQ might be "official", when you are talking about an unmoderated
newsgroup, but all the frequently asked questions are indeed answered at
this very well maintained and very comprehensive home page.

* FAQ, where? (Was: Good ADA book)
@ 1997-01-27  0:00   ` Laurent Gasser
From: Laurent Gasser @ 1997-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Laurent Gasser (lga@sma.ch)
Computers do not solve problems, they execute solutions.