* I need more opinions
@ 1997-01-23  0:00 Ron Thompson
From: Ron Thompson @ 1997-01-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently posted and asked for some opinions.  I'll do it
again and hope to get some more...

Two MVME 177 cards in one box, Lynx is OS.  The two cards
no not of each other.  There is no shared work, no shared
memory.  Sales pitch is to take the CPU utilization figures
on one, add the other, divide by 2, that is the real CPU
figure.  Same with memory.  Take the reserve on one card,
add it to the reserve on the other(which happens to be a whole
lot), divide by 2, you got your memory reserve requirement
met.  We have hard core reserve requirements in both the
CPU overhead and the memory area.  Singly, the cards don't
make it.

Anyone have opinions, experience with this New Math?

Feel free to email if you have to.

rct

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

* Re: I need more opinions
@ 1997-01-27  0:00 ` BGaffney42
From: BGaffney42 @ 1997-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                                    Add them up/2, you get
>a pretty good figure.  Forget for a minute that the mem on
>one card is useless to the other...

>Anyone have opinions, experience with this New Math?

This sounds a bit like when a defense contractor was having problems
meeting
 their memory reserve numbers.  They proposed to their customer a recovery
 plan which included doubling the memory on the processor, thereby
achieving
 50% reserve memory.  Never mind that the processor had no physical
capability
 to address the added memory ...

                                                      --Bg