From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: How to fix 'Could not locate executable on path: gnatmake'
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 07:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-05-10T07:55:45-07:00	[thread overview]

resander wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On May 9, 2:04 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>> Have you tried to look for the package gnat-gps in Synaptic?  What
>> version does Ubuntu have?  The latest is 4.3-5; if Ubuntu has anything
>> older, it is lagging behind Debian testing.  If it lags behind you have
>> three options to choose from, in order of growing difficulty:
>
>> - live with it (use the older version)
>> - delete Ubuntu and install Debian from scratch (like I said, if you are
>>   skilled enough to reinstall Ubuntu, then you are skilled enough to
>>   install Debian)
>> - install Debian in a chroot, leaving your Ubuntu intact.  That's,
>>   indeed, a little more complex.
>
>> Do not forget to also install the packages "gnat" and "gprbuild".
>
> Many thanks Ludovic,
>
> GNAT-GPS 4.3.5 is in synaptic of Ubuntu 10.04.

That would be 4.3-5.

> The following parts are also pulled in:
>
> ada ref manual
> gnat
> gnat-4.4
> gnat-gps-doc
> libgnat-4.4
> libgnatprj4.4
> libgnatvsn4.4
> libgtkada2.14.2
> libtemplates-parser11.5
>
> and it works from the GUI menu too.
>
> Q1.
> Are the versions in the list above the most recent?

Since you do not provide the exact version numbers, I can't tell for
sure. I can however tell from the package names that these versions
are fairly recent (less than 5 months old). You'll have to compare
with the Debian packages. You could try this long URL that I use as my
dashboard to coordinate work:

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=lbrenta+ken@codelabs.ch+reet@codelabs.ch+stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org+nicolas.boulenguez@free.fr+xavier.grave@ipno.in2p3.fr&comaint=yes

This URL will also give you a list of Ada packages that you do not yet
have on your system.

> Q2.
> Have used GCC from the codeblocks IDE for C for the last two years.
> I obtained that from the build-essentials package via Ubuntu's
> Synaptic.
> I recently learned that there is a GCC that also supports Ada.
> Is that the same GCC that I have been using. If not, how are they
> related?

Yes, this is the same GCC, albeit different versions or forks of it.
Full discussion with intricate detail here:

http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html (chapter 2,
"Background information").

--
Ludovic Brenta.