* Re: great ada book resource online
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 ` Rennie Allen
From: Rennie Allen @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Hopper (jhopper@erinet.com) wrote:
> i was browsing at the relativly new www bookstore www.amazon.com which
> has a HUGE number of books available for purchase over the net (secure
> and inscecure)  i did a search on computer language ada and boy did i
> get a suprise.  there was a really large number of ada programming
> books for sale!  It was really impressive how many there were listed.
> i bought several ada 95 books i had heard about but hadnt gotten around
> to tracking down.  this should probably be on Magnus's web page and in
> the faq as a great place to look for Ada books.

Let the people here know how long it takes you to get the books.  I am pretty
sure (based on the fact that I looked for texts on oilfield exploration in
northern Guyana, and got several hits); that their search-engine simply
searches a global publication database; when they get an order they seek it
out and order it.  If they really put effort into finding the book, then it
looks like a really good service.  If they try a couple of things, and can't
find it; then respond "it's out of print" or something, then it's (IMO) a waste
of time.

--
Rennie Allen                                       <rgallen@qnx.com>
QNX Software Systems Ltd.

 " When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with
   atoms.  But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with
   explosions." - some kid.

* Re: great ada book resource online
@ 1997-01-21  0:00   ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5c2omb$cim@qnx.com>, rgallen@qnx.com (Rennie Allen) wrote:

> Jim Hopper (jhopper@erinet.com) wrote:
> > i was browsing at the relativly new www bookstore www.amazon.com which
> > has a HUGE number of books available for purchase over the net (secure
> > and inscecure)  i did a search on computer language ada and boy did i
> > get a suprise.  there was a really large number of ada programming
> > books for sale!  It was really impressive how many there were listed.
> > i bought several ada 95 books i had heard about but hadnt gotten around
> > to tracking down.  this should probably be on Magnus's web page and in
> > the faq as a great place to look for Ada books.
>
> Let the people here know how long it takes you to get the books.  I am pretty
> sure (based on the fact that I looked for texts on oilfield exploration in
> northern Guyana, and got several hits); that their search-engine simply
> searches a global publication database; when they get an order they seek it
> out and order it.  If they really put effort into finding the book, then it
> looks like a really good service.  If they try a couple of things, and can't
> find it; then respond "it's out of print" or something, then it's (IMO)
a waste

well on the ada books i got hits for books i never new existed and i have
been doing ada since about 1984.  a number were older and yes some did
show out of print.  but some showed currently out of print with advice to
bookmark the page and check back or you can have them notify you via
email.  every book i ordered had a delivery time associated with it from a
few days to a few weeks (longer in the case of books announced but not yet
available).  you are give a choice of getting entire order when all is
available or breaking it into seperate orders or having everythign shipped
as it becomes available.  i will let you know how it turns out when i get
my books. if nothing else its very useful just to get a list of what ada
books are available.

jim

* Re: great ada book resource online
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Hopper (jhopper@erinet.com) wrote:

: i was browsing at the relativly new www bookstore www.amazon.com which
: has a HUGE number of books available for purchase over the net (secure
: and inscecure)  i did a search on computer language ada and boy did i
: get a suprise.  there was a really large number of ada programming
: books for sale!

Yes, I agree. And when I ordered, it arrived over here in just two weeks!
When I ordered the Barnes book from a local bookshop this summer it took
over two *months* with considerably higher shipping costs.

Jerry.

--
+----------------+-------------------------------+
| Jerry van Dijk | Consultant, Ordina Finance BV |

* great ada book resource online
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 Jim Hopper
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-01-22  0:00   ` Jim Hopper
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <32E57858.55B6@zip.com.au>
Peter Milliken <peterm@zip.com.au> writes:

> > to tracking down.  this should probably be on Magnus's web page and in
> > the faq as a great place to look for Ada books.
> >
> > jim
> Hi Jim, It is on the Magnus's Web page :-) (I assume you mean
> www.adahome.com). I haven't purchased from there, although I have been

yes i am an idiot.  I knew he had some listed but there were only a few
of the multitude i saw at www.amazon.com.  but i totoally missed until
this eve his notice that he was working in conjuntion with
www.amazon.com.  Sorry!  In any case i was pleasently suprised at the
number and variety of ada books.  I got email tonight that they shipped
the first three books today (three more on back order two of which i
belive have not been released yet).

I understand also about costs in austrailia. We did a radar simulation
for wormald technologies in sydney and i could not belive how much they
had to pay for computers and parts compared to what we paid!  You guys
need a buyers union ;-)

best jim

* Re: great ada book resource online
@ 1997-01-22  0:00 ` Peter Milliken
From: Peter Milliken @ 1997-01-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Hopper wrote:

> i was browsing at the relativly new www bookstore www.amazon.com which
> has a HUGE number of books available for purchase over the net (secure
> and inscecure)  i did a search on computer language ada and boy did i
> get a suprise.  there was a really large number of ada programming
> books for sale!  It was really impressive how many there were listed.
> i bought several ada 95 books i had heard about but hadnt gotten around
> to tracking down.  this should probably be on Magnus's web page and in
> the faq as a great place to look for Ada books.
>
> jim
Hi Jim, It is on the Magnus's Web page :-) (I assume you mean
www.adahome.com). I haven't purchased from there, although I have been
tempted. Unfortunately for me, by the time you add the extra expense to
get the book quickly (1 - 2 weeks according to the shipping figures) and
the $ dollar conversion factor it is only marginally more expensive to
buy locally here in Australia (I base this upon a comparison of John
English's book, which I saw on the shelves last weekend).

Of course, the number of Ada books is very low here (Dymocks - a large
local supplier had only two Ada books on the shelf, Feldman's book on
Data structure and English's book).