From: codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)
Subject: Re: official recommendations of Ada
Date: 24 Jul 2001 12:06:15 -0700
Date: 2001-07-24T19:06:16+00:00	[thread overview]

>>In a subsequent portion of the thread I made a reference to a
  productivity metric.  I stated that if they are not taking data and
  applying a metric then I'd start by getting them to do that.  That
is
  the only way that I know of to start making accurate estimates."

Hold on. You did not refer to a productivity metric. You imagined that
there is a productivity metric. In
news:5be89e2f.0107221953.8a52@posting.google.com you actually said
"[..] I was assuming that management could accurately predict the
level of
effort needed to complete projects and had meaningful productivity
metrics in place. [..]". I have not read all of your posts in your
"Ada
The Best Language?" thread but I have not seen you actually describe
properly nor name any of these metrics which you claim would be
useful.<<

First of all I did look for the productivity metric that I posted as a
strawman and I couldn't find it in that thread.  Apparently you're
trying to pin me down to a metric that is useful for all organizations
which I can't do.  The point is that the current thinking in software
engineering is that processes that can make reliable schedules are
accomplished by collecting data and determining metrics for estimating
future productivity.  Do you dispute this?

> Also, instead of saying that subsequently somewhere in this thread you
> said something, please have the decency to make a better reference as to
> how exactly your post can be found. Right now for me it was not a problem,
> but imagine you make another five posts with fairly similar claims and
> someone else only then starts reading the thread. Without scruntizing
> timestamps (and not all archives show the timestamps nor show a diagram of
> which post is in which subthread) it may be difficult for them to see if
> you are backtracking etc..

Ok but I don't want to get hung up on a specific metric which you seem
to want to discuss.  My post regarding my assumption of management is
self explanatory I'm sorry if you didn't get it.

> "So if the organization has accumulated data from previous development
> projects the schedules should be accurate."
>
> Where Russ is does not seem to have ever worked on a safety critical
> mission before so why -- how even -- would it have its own records on
> previous schedule programmes? As for histories ensuring future timeliness,
> bear in mind that one of the founders of financial applied maths -- a
> French man named Bouchalleit (unsure of spelling) -- maintained that the
> past and present have pretty much no bearing on future prices.<<

Apparently you don't agree with the current thinking regarding
software engineering processes.  Apparently you don't put much stock
in the CMM either.  Your analogy doesn't apply to software
development.

>> And since
> you love to default to C++ (e.g. evidence from
> news:bebbba07.0107162313.66a58a69@posting.google.com with added stress:
> "18k11tm001@sneakemail.com<<

Huh?  What does this mean?  I've already acknowledge that I think Ada
95 is a better programming language than C++.

I'll try to make this clear.  My original response in this thread was
based on an assumption of what I consider to be rational management.
I don't think that I'm the only one who shares those opinions.  If
management is acting irrationally I would start by trying to get them
to act rationally.  This is the same approach that is taken in other
disciplines when analyzing and discussing the decision making process.
 If you have another definition of rational management then please
bring it to the forefront.