From: codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)
Subject: Re: official recommendations of Ada
Date: 21 Jul 2001 06:01:19 -0700
Date: 2001-07-21T13:01:19+00:00	[thread overview]

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<uvgkmspa6.fsf@wanadoo.fr>...
> codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy) writes:
>
> > From management's view point, using Ada instead of C/C++ is taking a
> > major risk
>
> What is the major risk ?

Good points.  There's also a risk in not finishing the project.

> You probably know the statistics: more than 80% of projects (at least in my
> domain which is Information System) are doubling the budget or the time to
> deliver or both.

In a subsequent portion of the thread I made a reference to a
productivity metric.  I stated that if they are not taking data and
applying a metric then I'd start by getting them to do that.  That is
the only way that I know of to start making accurate estimates. So if
the organization has accumulated data from previous development
projects the schedules should be accurate.  If the organization does
not believe in taking such data then I don't know that they will ever
realize that Ada helped them if they use it.

> So the risk the manager is going to take is:
>
>   "Well, let me risk to have this project be delivered on time"
>
> Quite a hard to take risk, right ?

I like the way you put that actually.

> I think the manager and developers don't want to switch just because they are
> not willing to do something different... just keep doing what we have always
> done.
>
> You'll say, but the cost of learning a new language ?
>
> I'll answer, no problem for a real and experienced developer team. Just a week
> of practice. The problem is not the language but the underlying principles:
> OO, encapsulation, abstration, information hiding...
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Pascal.

Ok I'll go along with that approach.  I refer you to Jim Rogers
comments though.