* Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
@ 2008-12-27 23:24 Michael Rohan
From: Michael Rohan @ 2008-12-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any success using "/" as the dot replacement for file
names with GNAT, i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C would be a/
b/c.ads?  This would give a structure similar to the Java source
structure.

Take care,
Michael.

* Re: Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
@ 2008-12-29 10:45 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2008-12-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Rohan a �crit :
> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any success using "/" as the dot replacement for file
> names with GNAT, i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C would be a/
> b/c.ads?  This would give a structure similar to the Java source
> structure.

I doubt it would work, since neither DOS/Windows nor Unix allows "/" in
file names. Under Unix, "/" is the *only* character not allowed in file
names!

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
@ 2008-12-29 12:00   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-12-29 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
> Michael Rohan a �crit :
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Has anyone had any success using "/" as the dot replacement for file
>> names with GNAT, i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C would be a/
>> b/c.ads?  This would give a structure similar to the Java source
>> structure.
>>
> I doubt it would work, since neither DOS/Windows nor Unix allows "/" in
> file names. Under Unix, "/" is the *only* character not allowed in file
> names!

IIUC, the OP would like the unit A.B.C to live in file
C.ads in directory B which lives in directory A.

I would guess that since there is already support for -I
in GNAT, using directory nesting as a match for child
package placement could be added.

* Re: Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
@ 2009-01-01 13:20 ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-01-01 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone had any success using "/" as the
> dot replacement for file names with GNAT,
> i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C
> would be a/b/c.ads?  This would give a
> structure similar to the Java source
> structure.

This structure is specific to Eclipse IDE,
not to Java as whole.

XCode, for instance, does nothing to
support Eclipse-style directory
structure.

Personally, I prefer .NET-style filenames
(Mixed_Case.Dot_Separated.adb).

Configuration pragmas allow to do
any file naming conventions:

http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/
auto_update/gnat-unw-docs/html/gnat_ugn_11.html#SEC112

* Re: Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
@ 2009-01-01 15:27 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2009-01-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In theory it may work but in order to keep other tools then just the
compiler happy i would strongly recommend to use the standard GCC naming
conventions.
The project i work with professionally was using the APEX naming
convention that at least has support from the GNAT tool chain but there
are hiccups so we are considering a massive rename.
My recommendation would be:
* Stay with GCC naming convention for files i you don't want trouble.

/Per

Michael Rohan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any success using "/" as the dot replacement for file
> names with GNAT, i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C would be a/
> b/c.ads?  This would give a structure similar to the Java source
> structure.
>
> Take care,
> Michael.

* Re: Using "/" As Dot Replacement with GNAT
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-05  7:31 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2009-01-05  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Rohan schrieb:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any success using "/" as the dot replacement for file
> names with GNAT, i.e., the spec file for the package A.B.C would be a/
> b/c.ads?  This would give a structure similar to the Java source
> structure.

I tried that - but it did not work out in the end. In fact: any other
attempt on changing the naming convention failed as well when project
size increased.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net