* Attribute denoting a subprogram : no named parameter associations allowed
@ 2009-10-25  6:27 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-10-25  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello once again,

ARM 4.1.4 use the word “ subprogram ” when talking about an attribute
may denote.
> 9 An attribute_reference denotes a value, an object, a subprogram, or
> some other kind of program entity.

ARM 6.4, which is about subprogram calls, says
> 7 A parameter_association is named or positional according to whether or
> not the formal_parameter_selector_name is specified. Any positional associations
> shall precede any named associations. Named associations are not allowed if
> the prefix in a subprogram call is an attribute_reference.

The important thing is the “ Named associations are not allowed if the
prefix in a subprogram call is an attribute_reference. ”, and indeed,
the compiler don't want it.

But why this restriction ? What is the rational for this restriction ?

I do not see a reason why this may be a bad practice to use named
parameter associations when the subprogram is denoted by an attribute.