From: jhopper@erinet.com (Jim Hopper)
Subject: Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
Date: 1997/01/07
Date: 1997-01-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <brennanw-0601972303230001@indian-10.vf.pond.com>
brennanw@pond.com (William  C Brennan) writes:

> So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
> run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
> been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?
>
> And the GNAT-Mac server (http://gnat-mac.com/macada/) has been down for weeks.
> What's up?

Codebuilder 1.0 is available at macworld today.  they have cd's in hand
and selling on the show floor for $99.  they are selling on the show
minus hard copy docs, which are not due till next week when they will
start shipping them.

full gnat 3.07, unix and mac standalone tasking, builds standalone
double clickable mac apps with ada tasking.  Mike feldman did a nice
demo (with some mac help from john matthews and i) of this which opens
a mac window and runs three tasks doing three different sort algorithms
shown graphically.

its a LOT faster with the native filesystem (4-10 times faster).  lots
of improvements.

as to the web site, I hope to announce a new web page real soon now.  i
will try to get a 4.03 updater out the door to 3.07 this week for those
of you who have the full system already. it will be available on the
nyu site rather than the old site.

one thing to note, machten is the same version of bsd unix and mac as
next uses and apple has endorsed machten as a platform to port to the
new mac OS.  In addition to Ada95 they have c, c++, objective c,
fortran, and java on the cd.  they are the first mac development system
to support objective c which the nextstep system uses (as well as c++).
 they have GNUstep partially running on the cd, and an update soon will
provide full GNUStep software (gnu version of next openstep development
environment).  I mention all this for those of you who thought we were
crazy to go with machten.  It looks like we gazed into our crystal ball
and built a gnat that already will run on the future macOS ;-)

jim