* Question about Adabas
@ 2003-01-28 18:48 Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-01-28 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is Adabas developed in Ada ?

Is it possible to use Ada with it (a binding) ?

Thanks,
Pascal.

--|

* Re: Question about Adabas
@ 2003-01-28 19:47 ` Larry Kilgallen
       [not found] ` <3fdjg-em3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-01-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <uu1ftp0th.fsf@wanadoo.fr>, Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Is Adabas developed in Ada ?

No.

> Is it possible to use Ada with it (a binding) ?

It might be that the answer depends on the platform.  Certainly on VMS
it would work, because all languages interoperate there (but as might
be expected, C has more difficulty).

* Re: Question about Adabas
       [not found] ` <3fdjg-em3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
@ 2003-01-28 23:11   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-01-28 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3fdjg-em3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Of course, between then and now, anything goes (I'm sure Adabas went
> from some sort of confused access system to relational <G>).

Don't be too sure of yourself on that.  According to my wife, who has it
at work, the Natural language used to access Adabas has no relational
queries.

* Re: Question about Adabas
@ 2003-01-28 23:53   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-01-28 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> In article <uu1ftp0th.fsf@wanadoo.fr>, Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > Is Adabas developed in Ada ?
>
> No.

Ok thanks for the answer.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Question about Adabas
       [not found] ` <3fdjg-em3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
@ 2003-01-29 11:20 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2003-01-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> Is Adabas developed in Ada ?

Although this may sound a bit funny in this context - I think Adabas
is developed in Pascal ;-). SAPDB is an Open Source (GPL) fork of
Adabas, and it is developed in a mixture of Pascal and C++, although
the SAP team is rewriting it in C++. Pity, Pascal -> Ada could be a
shorter way.

> Is it possible to use Ada with it (a binding) ?

I think there was an Ada interface for Adabas, I'd ask the company if
you are serious about this.

For SAPDB (so most likely also for Adabas) the main API is ODBC, this
means making GNADE work with it should be straightforward. This is, by
the way, my plan for the future.

Regards,
Wojtek