From: Wes Groleau <groleau@freeshell.org>
Subject: Re: Virus Resistive Software
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:47:30 -0500
Date: 2003-08-26T22:47:30-05:00	[thread overview]

> The best way to get rid of Outlook, is to yank it out or disable it, pop
> something like Mozilla Mail in.  If that's too bizzarre skin it to look
> like outlook and see how it goes.  It's got to configure out the box, do

It has to WORK out of the box AND be EASY to install.
I spent seven hours on the phone talking my mother
through the settings before she could even _get_ any mail.

Then I sent her Norton Anti-Virus for Christmas,
and she won't attempt to install it until I get back
on the phone with her to talk her through that.

It's not that she's stupid--but she didn't even
give up her manual typewriter [1] until five
years ago, so a computer is a major culture shift! [2]

My father's not stupid either--has a master's in
education--but he never even typed in his life until
they bought that thing.

And there are thousands like them.  It's very likely
they are hosting a virus or two.  And will be, until
I get down there and clean it for them.  I'd tell them
to get somebody who knows computers to stop in, but
unfortunately, most of the people who are able to
_use_ a computer have not a clue about security.

[1] For you young folks, that's a typewriter
     that functions only by physical force--no
     electricity.

[2] I can't say "close the window," I have to say
     "See the little 'X' in the upper right corner
      of the window?"  "Window?  Is that the big
      rectangle?"  "Yes, move the mouse until the
      arrow points to the X in the corner of it
      and press and release the left button"

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/Wes