From: ahlan.marriott@gmail.com
Subject: Re: GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:28:49 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2017-01-31T10:28:49-08:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, 30 January 2017 21:48:42 UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov  wrote:
> On 2017-01-30 19:20, ahlan.marriott@gmail.com wrote:
> > I currently use the GtkAda and Gtk (3.8.4) that was distributed by
> > AdaCore as GPL 2015 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty-Tahr.
> > When I tried to install this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS I could compile
> > GtkAda but after I added /opt/gtkada/lib into
> > /etc/ld.so.cong.ld/ada.conf Ubuntu would no longer boot.
>               ^^^^ What is this?
>
> > Is there a compatibility issue here?
>
> If you killed the Gtk installation used by GNOME, then yes.
>
> You should still be able to boot without graphics unless you killed all
> dynamic libraries...
>
> > I tried GtkAda that was distributed with GPL2016 with the same effect.
>
> I have packaged 3.14.2 from GPL 2016. It is here:
>
>     http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada.htm
>
> Ubuntu ~ Debian. It should work under Ubuntu.
>
> > Or is there something that I am doing wrong or have forgotten to do?
>
> GtkAda generates a makefile to install the stuff correctly. Why do you
> copy files manually?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Dear Dmitry,

Your writing "What is this?" is the clue I was looking for.
It seems that my adding the file into /etc/ld.so.conf.ld is not neccesary.
Without it I can still build my Gtk programs and execute them as well as others that I built previously.
So I wonder what I was trying to do, why I thought it was necessary and where I got the idea from.
The folder /opt/gtkada/ is where I installed Gtkada
and in lib there are lots of .so files.

As I know absolutely nothing about Linux I doubt very much that I got the idea of adding a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.ld all on my own and it did no harm in Ubuntu 14.04

However the immediate solution to my problem is probably simply not to add the file into /etc/ld.so.conf.ld

I'll try it out and let you know.
Many thanks,
MfG
Ahlan