From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: Which Linux is best on lab top
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:21:21 +0300
Date: 2007-04-25T11:21:21+03:00	[thread overview]

Anh Vo wrote:

> I seeking your advice on which linux should be best for my lab top
> since most you are Linux experts beside Ada Gurus. I recently
> purchased a lab top. I plan to install Linux on the second hard drive
> which has 100 GB.
>
> I am looking for a Linux flavor with easy setup, more driver support
> and auto update. Red Hat is not quite good on these areas. Ubunto
> Linux does provide these capabilities according what I have read and
> heard. However, I would like to hear from the experts who have been
> using it. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, Debian is the only distro with a dedicated Ada
maintainer (thanks Ludovic). And Debian is a great distribution.

You have too the option to choose to be a bit more on the edge and use
ubuntu, since it inherits from debian. I'm now writing from a kubuntu
laptop while my project compiles in the background. Just a point for your
sample.

I have never installed debian; ubuntu family is really easy.

I've used Ada equally without problems in debian (in embedded x86 in robots,
where we use debian stable) and in kubuntu (in my laptop and workstations),
although I use mostly the libre site packages and not the ones from the
distro.

Perhaps you should check which one supports better your laptop hardware,
there may be some particularities.