From: wheeler@aphrodite (David Wheeler)
Subject: Re: Newbe compile problems
Date: 1996/12/17
Date: 1996-12-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

James Amendolagine (uq274@freenet.victoria.bc.ca) wrote:
: Hello,

:    I am just starting with ADA. I am going through the ADA turorial, and
: can't get some source code to compile.

You should note which tutorial you mean, Lovelace in this case, and the
section (6.1 in this case).  As the author of Lovelace I happen to like
the ring of "THE Ada tutorial", but that will simply confuse most people.

The basic problem is that you are using a VERY old version of Lovelace.
As Robert Dewar has pointed out, the line:
:    A := B + 7.;
should say:
:    A := B + 7.0;

This was fixed a long time ago.  The simple solution is to use the
most recent version of Lovelace, which is at:
  http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/lovelace/lovelace.htm

There's another error in the sample code you posted -
"Float_Text_IO" should say "Ada.Float_Text_IO".  That may be a
scribing error, I don't remember that ever being an error in Lovelace.

Robert Dewar said:
>You need to get a text book that clearly decsribes Ada 95, and thus
>corresponds with the compiler you are using (which is GNAT in this case).

I agree, and I hasten to add that you need the CURRENT version
of the work.  GNAT 2.07 has many bugs compared to GNAT 3.07,
and Lovelace has improved over time as well.

Lovelace is being converted into a book, and when it becomes available
you probably ought to buy a copy. The book has been professionally edited and
will let you flip right to the pages you're interested in.

--- David A. Wheeler
    dwheeler@ida.org