* ANNOUNCE: Ada95 (GNAT) binding for ncurses
@ 1996-12-04  0:00 Juergen Pfeifer
From: Juergen Pfeifer @ 1996-12-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

for all those looking for a free interface to character
oriented terminals, you should download

  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/zm/zmbenhal/ncurses-1.9.9g.tar.gz

This newest release of ncurses also contains a first version
of my Ada95 binding. ncurses runs on all GNAT supported platforms.
On Win95/NT you'll need the Cygnus tools for Win32.

The binding not only covers the classical curses windowing
routines, but also the panel library (curses windows
with "a depth"), the menu library (flexible one/two dimensional
menus, scrollable etc.) and the form library (multipage forms,
user defined field types, horizontally and vertically scrollable
multi-line fields, fields with limited or unlimited dynamic growth
etc.). Last but not least you'll find Text_IO like packages for
formatted output into (n)curses windows.

A sample program is part of the distribution.
The documentation is in HTML (thanx D. Wheeler for ada2html).

For this release the binding is coupled to GNAT, because I use
in some places RTL routines only available with GNAT. But it
isn't hard to eliminate this. So if you want to try it for
another compiler, you're welcome. Please report any changes back
to me.

This binding is thin, but not too thin. For the typical curses
data-structures I provide records and generated representation
clauses for the various hardware platforms. So you dont have to
flip bits to highlight a character, but you set a boolean member
in a record structure.

Any comments about (un)successfull attempts to build and to use
this binding are very welcome.

The binding has been developed under Linux 2.0. You need GNAT 3.05
or better to compile it. It has been tested also under Solaris-2.4.

Juergen Pfeifer
--
http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Pfeifer

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Ada95 (GNAT) binding for ncurses
@ 1996-12-07  0:00 ` Juergen Pfeifer
From: Juergen Pfeifer @ 1996-12-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juergen Pfeifer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for all those looking for a free interface to character
> oriented terminals, you should download
>
>   ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/zm/zmbenhal/ncurses-1.9.9g.tar.gz

As some of you have noticed, the correct URL is of course
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/zm/zmbenhal/ncurses/ncurses-1.9.9g.tar.gz

Sorry
Juergen
--
http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Pfeifer