* How to keep the C code produced by GNAT ?
@ 1996-12-06  0:00 Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1996-12-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for answering such a simple question...

* Re: How to keep the C code produced by GNAT ?
@ 1996-12-06  0:00 ` Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 1996-12-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1996Dec6.153517.5380@news>,
        Gautier.DeMontmollin@maths.unine.ch (Gautier) writes:
>Thank you for answering such a simple question...

I don't believe C code ever gets generated by GNAT. I believe
the Ada front-end feeds abstract data structures to the gcc
back-end directly. No C ever exists.

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)

* Re: How to keep the C code produced by GNAT ?
@ 1996-12-08  0:00   ` Adam Tyner
From: Adam Tyner @ 1996-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <58a36c$13ra@mdnews.btv.ibm.com>, pontius@btv.ibm.com says...

>I don't believe C code ever gets generated by GNAT. I believe
>the Ada front-end feeds abstract data structures to the gcc
>back-end directly. No C ever exists.

What I believe he's thinking of is there is a file with a .C extension that's
produced when GNAT compiles.  I've edited one of these .C files that was left
when GNAT crashed once, and Dale's right -- it's not C, despite the extension.

-Adam Tyner

--
/----=========================================----\
     http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/

* Re: How to keep the C code produced by GNAT ?
@ 1996-12-09  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Tyner said

"What I believe he's thinking of is there is a file with a .C extension that's
produced when GNAT compiles.  I've edited one of these .C files that was left
when GNAT crashed once, and Dale's right -- it's not C, despite the extension."

That's odd, no ijntermediate files with an exception of .C are generated
to my knowledge, other than the binder generated main program file.

* Re: How to keep the C code produced by GNAT ?
@ 1996-12-09  0:00     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
The program gnatbl is provided for binding and linking using the RTL in the
most simple situations.  Gnatbl calls  gnatbind which creates a C file
(b_hello.c, for example) containing calls to all of the elaboration
routines; then it compiles this file; then it invokes gcc to do the
linking.  If the switch -g is used, debugging information is included in
the objects, and the b_<main-unit-name>.c file is kept for use by symbolic
debuggers.  To my knowledge, this is the only .c file produced by any of
the gnat programs.

I hope this makes the matter more clear.

David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com
http://www.ada95.com

Adam Tyner <ctyner@awod.com> wrote in article