From: mbrinn@bbn.com (Marshall Brinn)
Subject: Limits on type Duration and package Calendar
Date: 2 Jul 90 17:11:30 GMT	[thread overview]

I have come across a problem with package CALENDAR, and would be interested
in hearing what others have to say/have done about it.

In the LRM, it defines that type DURATION need only ranuge up to 84600.0,
ie., the number of seconds in a day (the definition of CALENDAR.DAY_DURATION).

However, package CALENDAR provides functions "+" and "-" where the difference
between two times is given as a DURATION. How then does this package handle
the difference between two days that are more that one day apart? Some
compilers I've tried seem to have a reasonably high value for DURATION'last,
at least one (TELESOFT TELEGEN2 1.4) used the one-day upper bound.

Yes, I can "roll my own", but it seems a shame that I can't use the "standard"
calendar interface because it is not sufficient to such a simple task.

Any suggestions on the "Standard" ADA way to deal with time gaps > 1 day
would be appreciated.

Marshall Brinn (mbrinn@bbn.com)
70 Fawcett St.
Cambridge, MA 02138