From: stt@ada-uts
Subject: Re: Rep Specs - Need user input
Date: 22 Sep 88 14:58:00 GMT	[thread overview]

Here is a general comment:  given that the hardware provides
shift and mask instructions, there seems no reason why bit-field
assignments/fetches need be out-of-line.  C-compilers have
been doing this kind of bit-field manipulations in-line
since 1976 or before.  Take a look at the
Gould C compiler, or others, and I am sure you will see reasonable
code for such bit-field operations.  I'm sure Jovial, etc. do the same.
(Concatenating unaligned slices of packed bit arrays is another
matter, of course ...)

Tucker Taft
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, Mass  02138