From: stt@ada-uts
Subject: Re: Follow-up to my original posting (R
Date: Mon, 23-Nov-87 14:18:00 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Mon Nov 23 14:18:00 1987

A scalar value doesn't *have* a "subtype"; it belongs to
each subtype of its type which includes the value in its range.

The only difference between
"base type" and "type" has to do with subtype issues, where
"base type" is really "base subtype," which is the subtype
with the maximal range supported by the type.

S. Tucker Taft
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138