From: davidk@OS7.ifs (David Kristola)
Subject: Re: decline of Ada?
Date: 1996/11/23
Date: 1996-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article 62B0@lmtas.lmco.com, Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com> () writes:
>JBisaillon wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure what the exact thread is here, I have a sense of what
>> it might be.  Let me shed some light on a few realities.
>>
>> 1) If you are an Ada programmer, you had better pray that you don't
>> get downsized.  All that training, years of experience, are virtually
>> worthless unless you can find another DoD Contractor
>> doing Ada.
>
>False. I know several Ada programmers who were downsized with the cancellation
>of the A-12 program. They were in high demand.

Count me as one of the A-12 downsized.  I had another job within a
month.  That one lasted for about two years until that project was
cancelled.  I was working a week later.  I will admit that all my
jobs have been for DoD contractors (actually, they are all Lockheed
Martin now).

>> 2) DoD Contractors will not build in Ada because you can't find
>> trained coders to work for 24K to 32K per year.  But you can find "C"
>> coders.  Therefore, if you want the contract, you cut the cost and
>> program it in "C".  It really has very little to do with the language,
>> its advantages, or disadvantages.  It has to do with dollars.

If anyone starts building weapons systems in C using the cheapest
programmers available, we all have a lot to worry about.

[snip]

>On a related subject, our web site now has job listings. We don't always
>use Ada in the job pre-requisites, but many of the positions are for Ada
>programmers. (If you're a good programmer, but don't know Ada, don't worry.
>We can train you.)

LMTAS (formerly General Dynamics, Fort Worth Division) had a good
training program years ago, and it seems that they have maintained
it.

>--
>LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
>For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com

See also: http://www.lmsc.lockheed.com

---
david kristola
(not speaking for Lockheed Martin or SAMCO)
Home: David95036@aol.com       (subject to change if spammed!)
Work: <if email, look in header; if post, use my home address>
Spam: eat-spam-and-die@dev.null     (where all spam should go)