* good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-19  9:47 bubble
From: bubble @ 2004-10-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

lot of days,I try many IDEs for Ada.
now I found a editor is good choice for new bie.
Visual Slick Edit

the latest version is 9.x .

can support Ada auto-complete(they call it Tag support...).
It is a good and seem work better than AdaGIde.

It leak some futures. I want to have.
such as project manager support Gnat...,debuger,and lower price :(
I compiler it by gnatmake. :>

if you are search a good editor.
I think it is a good choice to make you happy in coding.

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-19 12:18 ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2004-10-19 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cl2qu3$j11$1@netnews.hinet.net>, "bubble" <bubble@bubble.d2g.com> writes:
> lot of days,I try many IDEs for Ada.

What were your impressions of the public version of GPS ?

(I haven't really looked at it extensively yet.)

Simon.

PS: Expect someone along shortly to point out that Emacs is all that
you need. :-)

Microsoft: The Standard Oil Company of the 21st century

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-20  4:19   ` bubble
From: bubble @ 2004-10-20  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What were your impressions of the public version of GPS ?

I have try GPS 1.4 in window 2000 ,they said the latest GPS is 2.x
I cann't find where it is?
good:
1. code folder is very good and cool.
2. a good project file.

2.
bad:
1. GPS 1.4 sometime crash very strang and no response like dead lock.
2. the pretty printer can not work , and I must delete pretty printer
configuration in (.gpr)project file myself.
3. no double byte word supported in code editor..
4.UI sometime has no correct layout. some options can not check because out
of dialog range..

slickedit auto complete function
http://www.riskm.com.tw/bubble/slickedit_autocomplete.jpg
slickedit full screen mode
http://www.riskm.com.tw/bubble/slickedit_full_mode.jpg
slickedit cross reference
http://www.riskm.com.tw/bubble/slickedit_hyper_cross_link.jpg

@ 2004-10-20  5:25     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2004-10-20  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"bubble" <bubble@bubble.d2g.com> writes:

> I have try GPS 1.4 in window 2000 ,they said the latest GPS is 2.x
> I cann't find where it is?

It's only been released to supported customers of ACT.

> 2.
> bad:

> 3. no double byte word supported in code editor..

Don't understand this one? (the other complaints I have seen too; the
new release is a lot better, but even that has been observed to lock
up if you resize windows at the wrong moment -- particularly when it's
busy).

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-20 10:10       ` bubble
From: bubble @ 2004-10-20 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > 3. no double byte word supported in code editor..
>
> Don't understand this one? (the other complaints I have seen too; the
> new release is a lot better, but even that has been observed to lock
> up if you resize windows at the wrong moment -- particularly when it's
> busy).

GPS and AdaGIde can not support chinese double byte word. :(
http://www.riskm.com.tw/bubble/double_byte_word_support.jpg

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-20 16:59       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-10-20 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> "bubble" <bubble@bubble.d2g.com> writes:
>
>> I have try GPS 1.4 in window 2000 ,they said the latest GPS is 2.x
>> I cann't find where it is?
>
> It's only been released to supported customers of ACT.

But no-one stops you from compiling your own. See my web page for details.
An I heard that it became easier since I last compiler a gps.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-20 19:24         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2004-10-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Simon Wright wrote:
>
> > "bubble" <bubble@bubble.d2g.com> writes:
> >
> >> I have try GPS 1.4 in window 2000 ,they said the latest GPS is 2.x
> >> I cann't find where it is?
> >
> > It's only been released to supported customers of ACT.
>
> But no-one stops you from compiling your own. See my web page for details.
> An I heard that it became easier since I last compiler a gps.

The libre site only shows 1.4.0 ??

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-21  2:33           ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-10-21  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you look at the CVS tags the latest is gps-2_0_2.

The libre site only shows pre-built binaries for 1.4.0.

Current sources are available through CVS.

I haven't been through the process of installing a CVS client on w2k and
downloading sources from CVS, but I'll probably be doing that soon to keep
up to date with GWindows.

It would be nice if someone would post a pre-built binary of gps-2_0_2 for
windows somewhere.

Steve
(The Duck)

"Simon Wright" <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message
> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> > Simon Wright wrote:

> > > It's only been released to supported customers of ACT.
> >
> > But no-one stops you from compiling your own. See my web page for
details.
> > An I heard that it became easier since I last compiler a gps.
>
> The libre site only shows 1.4.0 ??
>
> --
> Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-21  2:40             ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-10-21  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have problems with CVS as in lack of experience in using it effectively
;-)....but if someone builds the binaries for windows, if there's no
problem/copyright/distribution/otherwise legal problems to me doing so, I'd
like to host the binaries :-).

I had turtoiseCVS or something like that installed when I was on windows 98
(no comments ;-) but on XP I haven't had the chance to install it and see if
it even works the same.

Just let me know :-)

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

"Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you look at the CVS tags the latest is gps-2_0_2.
>
> The libre site only shows pre-built binaries for 1.4.0.
>
> Current sources are available through CVS.
>
> I haven't been through the process of installing a CVS client on w2k and
> downloading sources from CVS, but I'll probably be doing that soon to keep
> up to date with GWindows.
>
> It would be nice if someone would post a pre-built binary of gps-2_0_2 for
> windows somewhere.
>
> Steve
> (The Duck)
>
> "Simon Wright" <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message
>> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>> > But no-one stops you from compiling your own. See my web page for
> details.
>> > An I heard that it became easier since I last compiler a gps.
>>
>> The libre site only shows 1.4.0 ??
>>
>> --
>> Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: good IDE for Ada
@ 2004-10-21  9:44           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-10-21  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Simon Wright wrote:

>> > It's only been released to supported customers of ACT.
>>
>> But no-one stops you from compiling your own. See my web page for
>> details. An I heard that it became easier since I last compiler a gps.
>
> The libre site only shows 1.4.0 ??

There is a cvs archive publicly available with version 2.xx. And 2.xx hasn't
got the pretty printer problem.

With Regards

Martin
--

@ 2004-10-21 12:53         ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2004-10-21 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>GPS and AdaGIde can not support chinese double byte word. :(
>http://www.riskm.com.tw/bubble/double_byte_word_support.jpg

with 2 billion chinese if these programs do not support double byte
word then i think the economy of scale, ie best free program, will
shift to whatever the chinese are using.

no?