From: wardi@rsd.bel.alcatel.be (Ian Ward)
Subject: Re: decline of Ada?
Date: 1996/11/21
Date: 1996-11-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article fsf@berlioz.eurocontrol.fr, Steve Jones - JON <jon@berlioz.eurocontrol.fr> () writes:
:>JBisaillon <jbisaill@brainiac.com> writes:
:>
:>>
:>[..snip..]
:>>
:>> I've been building systems, primarily Naval systems for about 15 years.
:>> You can not code a system in Ada and be cost competitive.  I can get
:>> two or three good "C" coders, X-Windows coders at the price of one Ada
:>> programmer.
:>
>Ummm just one small point here. If you can find an X windows engineer
>who is paid less than a standard Ada programmer then he is well
>underpaid.
>
>There are more 'C' programmers than Ada programmers but on the
>other hand there are a damned sight less decent X people out
>there than Ada people.
>
>Steve Jones
>
>Eurocontrol Experimental Centre
>
>PS The ATC market place has alot of huge contracts out at the moment and
>   they are all majority Ada projects because C won't cut the mustard.

Hardly any Ada people know X either, it used to be pointless, the work
involved getting Ada 83 to interface used to be monstrous, thank God
for Ada95.  I went on an X-course myself last year or the year before
last, (for interests sake) and I was the only Ada man there. I don't
think the instructor had even heard of the language, which implies
that he had not had too much experience with our types.

Anyway, this is a recommendation for the course, which is held in the
business park north of Cambridge. The instructor, (who was a 'C'ite) was
clear, concise, and well informed. If anyone wants to go there, E-mail me
and I'll look up the telephone number.

Anyway, this problem should now change with Ada95.

Best regards,
Ian.

---
Ian Ward's opinions only : wardi@rsd.bel.alcatel.be