From: u-dmfloy%sunset.utah.edu@utah-cs.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd)
Subject: Ada exceptions
Date: 7 Sep 88 09:01:00 GMT	[thread overview]

This *must* be the right newsgroup.

In discussing the woes of other languages, I posted an
article about excpetion handling. I thought (and still think)
that some way should be available to specify what action
to take when an exception occurs.

For example:

I'd like to say to the compiler

/* exceptions  sqrt(x) */
/*	if -x then do_this_process */
/*	if overflow then scale_routine_error */
/*	if underflow then return 0 */
/* exceptions + */
/*	if overflow ...

I don't care what syntax is used. There are times when a halt
on a fatal error can be ... fatal. I can't tolerate it at times, so
I end up doing alot of firewalling before calling procedures, and
if I do alot of math, it can get ugly fast.

I've had two messages that say "go Ada".

Can Ada really do it? If it can, I'll likely become a devotee, investing
within the month.

Could some Ada-ite post an Ada example like the one above, in Ada.

Thanks.